What is the best way to REALLY clean a new tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grimlock3000

Aquarium Advice Addict
I should be buying a display model tank tonight after work. The tank has been on display for a few months, and I am sure that untold people have had their hands all over it and the pet shop cleaned it with mystery chemicals. The tank has never held fish. I would like to avoid using bleach to clean it. I live in an urban area, so anything involving going outside or using a hose is out of the question. Are there any fish safe cleaners around?

A nice vinegar solution is good. Just rinse it out when done. That also gets rid of build up from salts and such (all that white residue). I have heard that OxyClean works wonders as well. Just do not use soap or detergent in it.

A weak bleach solution is nice because then you use a dechlorinator to rinse with and all is perfect.

I can put the tank next to my sink and put some vinegar in the tank, then blast the vinegar around with the sink sprayer and wipe it all with a towel and re-rinse it a few times. I will be extra thourough when I rinse the tank out, since I have no idea what has been used on the tank or who stuck their filthy hand into it ;) I will get some vinegar after work when I pick up the tank, thanks for the help.

You might want to scrub it out with a lot of salt along with the vinegar, especially if there is stuff caked on. I know of others who used hot water and then let the tank bake in the sun all day. Personally, I'd also go with tkos suggestion of 1-10 bleach solution, especially if folks have been handling it for months. I've also used Oxy-Clean with good success. Only be careful if its an acrylic tank; the salt and Oxy-Clean are abrasive.

And rinse rinse rinse. Once you think its rinsed out well, rinse it again LOL And if you go the bleach route, def used a dechlor in the rinse water.

There is nothing caked on visibly even though there are usually a bunch of customer in the fish section at this pet store. Just about everyone that walks by the tank seems to poke it. The tank is a bow front, so I think the people are sucked in by the miracle of curved glass, LOL. The tank is really clean which is what leads me to think that the tank was frequently given the once over with glass cleaner. My primary concern is to rinse out any leftovers from being cleaned all the time at the pet store.

Does the dechlorinator really make the bleach less harmful? Since I can not go outside and just hose the tank down repeatedly to get rid of the bleach, I would be spraying into the tank with the sink hose, then dumping the water, spray, dump spray, dump... The vinegar sounded like a safer plan to clean it up.

Does the dechlorinator really make the bleach less harmful?

Yes it does, bleach IS Chlorine!

Anyway, your plan for using vinegar will work fine, no worries! You will still have to rinse a lot. Rinse till the smell of vinegar is gone.

"Yes it does, bleach IS Chlorine!"

I knew sleeping through chemistry classes would catch up with me :oops: :p

Well, I went to pickup the tank and found out the strip light had been on for "everyday for a few months" and the glass top was not in pristine shape. I asked for a replacement bulb and was told no, then I tried buying all three display model items for 10% off. The store usually sells tanks and stands for 10% off, so I figured a display model tank/light/cover would be OK at 10%, especially since it was there for a lot longer than I thought. The salesperson was nice, but obviously not in a position to make any kind of decision. He was trying to talk to a manager, but the manager was busy trying to sell an $800 dog to someone. After about 15 minutes, I was told I would have to pay full retail for everything, and would not get a replacement bulb, so I left the store.

Well THAT sucks. Sounds like its time to write the owner a letter...

Back
Top Bottom