What is this? Please help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Idunno

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Found a few of these in our Axolotl tank tonight. They have appeared out of nowhere. What are they and should I be concerned?

Attachments

• IMG20190119194650.jpg
    IMG20190119194650.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 93
  • Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 86
After research.

I did a bit of a google search (images) and I found a description of a Damselfly Larvae (Zygoptera species) and am certain that it is a match. Would love some confirmation.

One of my Axolotl took a snap at one, chewed it for a bit and then spat it out. I assume they will continue to attempt to eat them.

Agree, damselfly larvae. Get it out of there, they are fish eaters believe it or not. Small fish, tadpoles, they live underwater for like 2 years surviving this way. Can cause a lot of head ache in fry systems.

Agree, damselfly larvae. Get it out of there, they are fish eaters believe it or not. Small fish, tadpoles, they live underwater for like 2 years surviving this way. Can cause a lot of head ache in fry systems.
Thanks heaps for your reply, gemach7. We just moved the live plant around a bit and there are a lot more than we thought at first. I am wondering if we should just take the whole plant out as well as the damselfly?

From my understanding the female damselfly, lays her eggs on plants below the surface. I would remove the plant. To be safe there are bot more eggs that haven’t hatched.

I have done this for snails not sure the concentration to kill fly larvae.

But moving the plant to its own say 5 gallon bucket for 24 hours, in say .25ppm chelated copper. Empty and refill and watch the plant in its bucket for a week for any new larvae.

Back
Top Bottom