What kind of fish to get that are easy keepers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JEK

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am looking at getting a 90 gallon tank for my house. We just got back from the Bahamas and my 11 month old son just LOVED the aquariums. We currently have 2 tanks, but one is tiny (5 gallon) and the other is a 45 gallon with one Oscar in it. I want to get a big tank with lots of fish for him to look at, but don't know what kind? I was thinking cichlids but have heard they can really tear up the plants and rearrange rocks, etc, and that you can only have cichlids in it. If I went with tropical fish I think I could mix and match fish species more and make it more appealing to him, but don't know the best species to put together? I know it's more of a personal choice, but looking for something that is a little easier as I do still have the baby to take care of, lol! Also i want happy fish and a happy tank. And what filtration systems do y'all recommend, as well as a uv sterilizer? I want to keep the tank as clean as possible so the weekly PWC don't include a whole scrub down of algae as well. Sorry for the long post and TIA for advice!

With a 90 gallon you could do a ton of different rainbow fish! They're colorful and active and peaceful, easy on plants to! Your son will live their energy!!
Edit- sorry... to throw in my 2cents too;) move the oscar to the 90 and do rainbows in the 45!

Last edited:
With a 90 gallon you could do a ton of different rainbow fish! They're colorful and active and peaceful, easy on plants to! Your son will live their energy!!
Edit- sorry... to throw in my 2cents too;) move the oscar to the 90 and do rainbows in the 45!

That is what I was gonna say! :lol:
Rainbows would be very nice in the 90 or 45.
Another idea is a large school of one species, like 50 of a certain type of tetra, barb, it any other schooling fish.
Also, if you are up for the challenge, you could try a tank with discus and ram cichlids. There are so many different discus colors, the tank would be very colorful and fascinating.

Thanks y'all! I wish I could keep both tanks but my husband said only one big one :(. I'm going to try and work on him more tonight though, as switching them sounds like a great idea! Is there another fish I could put in the 90 with the Oscar? I've had him for about 2 years. Got him when he was super small and he is about 7 inches. I just don't know if they would fight or not? Or if the tank would be too small to support 2?

With proper filtration you could throw a catfish or possible 2-3 clown loaches in there.. He has the potential of hitting 12" so the extra space will do him well!

Pictus catfish would be great tankmates. Yoyo loaches would be better than clown loaches because they don't get as big.

Ok, so I just decided to buy a bigger tank and put the Oscar in it along with 5 silver dollars and possibly another bottom fish like a yoyo loach. Would a 90 gallon work or should I go for a 125?

You can do betta fish...As long as algae is checked, bettas would be perfect in a 90 galleon tank.

Back
Top Bottom