What kind of food do you use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sierra1228

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all,
I am currently running a Cichlid tank and am new to this. I have about 7 fish in my tank and they are starting to turn a little dull in color, especially my Auratus. He is almost completely black, no yellow left on him. I have read a few articles stating that the problem may be in the diet selection that I am feeding them. I have been using Omega one Supercolor for Cichlid pellets, also I have been feeding some frozen brine shrimp once a week. According to the articles they say my problem may be related to not enough vegetable matter. What does that mean? What should I be using?

Thanks,
Doug

I only feed and recommend New Life Spectrum, this fed exclusively will give them the best nutrition and therefore the best colors, health, etc.

Don't feed the frozen food, that is not needed and will just throw off the nutrition in the pellets. Upgrade the pellets to the NLS, I recommend the Thera+A formula because it has enough extra garlic to kill some parasites.

+1 for NLS.

I feed this food to all 8 of my tanks and havenoticed a nice color change on my cichlids. They seem bigger and healthier since I switched over to NLS. They have a product for every application too, even algae tablets! lol

I fed Tetra Color Bits to my discus and they LOVED it and kept their bright red color well. I also fed a variedty of frozen food like brine shrimp and other frozen concoctions.

I feed strictly kens flakes(super tropical,veggie and beefheart) and hikari frozen bloodworms. I cant feed them anything else and expect them to take to it anymore, I think they are spoiled but they always make a happy plate.

my community

NLS thera-a
kensfish.com flakes
hikari frozen bloodworms and shrimp

my bettas

NLS betta food
omega one betta food
hilari frozen shrimp/bloodworms
NLS thera-a community pellets

Thanks for all the advice. I will see if I can track down some NLS and see if that will make a difference. I thought it was caused by ammonia levels, but been doing 30% Water changes every other day until I got to less than .04ppm and still dark colors. So hopefully the food will make the difference.

Back
Top Bottom