What makes a good LFS?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bobrummel

Aquarium Advice Regular
Trying to decide where to buy my stock and need advice on what I should look for in a good LFS. I am willing to pay a little extra for fish if it means I will get good, healthy stock, but what am I looking for to decide if their tanks/fish are healthy?

How do I find LFS? I know there has to be more than 3 dedicated fish shops near where I live. I live in an area with 6 million people, but they just come up in searches:(

What questions should I ask the employees to make sure they are into it for the fish and not for my money?

If I walk into a store and they have dead fish, is that an automatic "No?"

Suggestions/advice, please!!

The bigger cities around here don't have a ton of dedicated shops anymore so if you have 3 in magnolia I would say you are doing pretty well.

Here is what makes a good shop for me:

• Individual filtration in each tank, no shared water system
  • Good quality stock from quality sources
  • They refuse to sell stock from infected tanks
  • Few to no dead fish in tanks(all stores will lose stock but the speed at which they remove them is what makes the difference)
  • Access to less common fish
  • Honest staff who prioritize helping you over selling you product

The bigger cities around here don't have a ton of dedicated shops anymore so if you have 3 in magnolia I would say you are doing pretty well.

Here is what makes a good shop for me:

• Individual filtration in each tank, no shared water system
  • Good quality stock from quality sources
  • They refuse to sell stock from infected tanks
  • Few to no dead fish in tanks(all stores will lose stock but the speed at which they remove them is what makes the difference)
  • Access to less common fish
  • Honest staff who prioritize helping you over selling you product

You nailed it brother, couldn't have said it better myself.

if they try to push fish on you
try to tell you you need this and that
if they sell fish without asking what size tank
if fish look sick or dead avoid buying there
ask if you can see them eat
when did the fish come in and were they qt
never buy fish if they came in less than 48 hrs
ask questions see if they know what there talking about
slip in a comment I just got a oscar for my 8g nano see if he/she reacts

I find smaller independent LFSs are run by fish enthusiasts and staff similarly. They will show an interest in your tank and advise and make suggestions for the way forward. Have a photo of your tank on your phone and the shop can appreciate what you are aiming for.
I definitely avoid large chain store fish shops. Most are not just useless but their ignorance or disinterest can lead to huge disappointment and distress. Not what you're looking for in fish keeping.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Avoid pets at home and pet shops in general. Aquatic centres are better fish only shops. I agree with scotjudd

Sent from my Kestrel using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I try to go to Petsmart (i know its a pet tore not a fish store) because they usually take good care of their fish and they aren't diseased as often(at least the one in my neighborhood). Most of the guppies I've gotten from Petco brought disease into my tank.

Back
Top Bottom