What should I add to my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tory

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I currently have a traditional 20 gallon tank and would like to add some fish to the family. I have been running the tank for nearly a year. I currently have 1 young Bulldog pleco, 1 adult female platy, and 3 two month old female platies in my tank. I do 25-50% water changes on a weekly basis. I run my tank at 79 degrees and add a tablespoon of aquarium salt every other water change.

I am wondering how many fish I can fit in my tank? By no means do I want to overstock.

I am interested in adding 2-3 balloon mollies and possibly a few swordtails to the family. My only concern is if these fish would all get along well with one another? I have read swordtails can be quite aggressive. Would a male balloon molly get along with my platies? Ideally, I would like to have a male or two in the tank as well. I have a ten gallon tank that I could use when/if more fry appeare.

Would it be possible to add 3 balloons and 2 swords to my tank? Or should I avoid swordtails completely? What do you think would be best for my 20 gallon?

Any advice/knowledge would be a great help! Thanks in advance.

Personally I wouldn't add anything until you can get a larger tank; you're pretty close to capacity. The bulldog is young now but it could grow to 5" and is going to need a larger space. Mollys and platys have a higher bioload than smaller fish, particularly mollys, so you'd be overstocked just adding a couple of Mollys. Swords could probably use more room too since they can get to about 4". I've also read that it might be possible for the Swords and Platy to mate.

Is this a 20g high or long? If it's long I think the bulldog will be fine, but if it's a high I agree with Librarygirl.

Back
Top Bottom