What should P.H level be?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishie

Aquarium Advice Addict
Should it be around 7 or what also with nitrites + ammonia.

The pH varies depending on the species you have in your tank, but 7 is okay. Ammonia and Nirtrite should be ZERO at ALL times.

Thanks because I got bottles to test and ammonia was at 0 and ph at 7 didn't yet test nitrites.

Fishie said:
Should it be around 7 or what also with nitrites + ammonia.

pH will be what ever you tap water is (or other water you might use for PWC). It does not have to be 7. If it is higher or lower your fish adapt to the waters pH. As long as its stable it doesn't matter if it's 6.6 or 8.6 or whatever. Do not try to adjust it with chemicals.
Ammonia and nitrites are to be 0 in a cycled tank. Nitrates under 20ppm (brought down by PWC).

Mumma.of.two said:
pH will be what ever you tap water is (or other water you might use for PWC). It does not have to be 7. If it is higher or lower your fish adapt to the waters pH. As long as its stable it doesn't matter if it's 6.6 or 8.6 or whatever. Do not try to adjust it with chemicals.
Ammonia and nitrites are to be 0 in a cycled tank. Nitrates under 20ppm (brought down by PWC).

I adjusted ph level in 10 G because it wasn't near 7 it was lower. With some ph upper. :( but my fish were living in it and haven't changed water in awhile.

Fishie said:
I adjusted ph level in 10 G because it wasn't near 7 it was lower. With some ph upper. :( but my fish were living in it and haven't changed water in awhile.

I wouldn't recommend that, every time you use a product like that you spike the pH. Then it spikes again once the chemicals wear off. Both of these are unhealthy for fish... They will adapt to your pH, don't adjust it

Fishkeeper26 said:
I wouldn't recommend that, every time you use a product like that you spike the pH. Then it spikes again once the chemicals wear off. Both of these are unhealthy for fish... They will adapt to your pH, don't adjust it

Spike? Makes it go off a lot or little? I won't do it next time but why do we test our ph then? If it is way low or to high what do I do?

Fishie said:

If it's still in there PWC to remove it. IMO the only chemical you need to add for regular maintenance is dechlorinator.

Fishie said:
Spike? Makes it go off a lot or little? I won't do it next time but why do we test our ph then? If it is way low or to high what do I do?

We test it to make sure it's stable because pH swings can kill fish. :) at least you know now.

Mumma.of.two said:
If it's still in there PWC to remove it. IMO the only chemical you need to add for regular maintenance is dechlorinator.

PWC?? Only chemical I don't have is that dechlorintuinator

Mumma.of.two said:
We test it to make sure it's stable because pH swings can kill fish. :) at least you know now.

How can I make oh better just new water?

Mumma.of.two said:
PWC = partial water change. You don't have a dechlorinator?!

No :( is that bad?? Get rid of chlorine right?

Fishie said:
No :( is that bad?? Get rid of chlorine right?

What do you add to your tank when you change the water?

You need a dechlorinator to remove chlorine and chloramine from the tap water before you add it to your tank. Chlorine and chloramine are poisonous to fish and can kill them in high doses. They can also kill your BB in your filter causing your tank to mini cycle.

Are you doing weekly PWC?

Mumma.of.two said:
What do you add to your tank when you change the water?

You need a dechlorinator to remove chlorine and chloramine from the tap water before you add it to your tank. Chlorine and chloramine are poisonous to fish and can kill them in high doses. They can also kill your BB in your filter causing your tank to mini cycle.

Are you doing weekly PWC?

I do weekly PWC and when I change the water I put stress zymes and stress coat.

Back
Top Bottom