What supplies should I have on hand???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mommy Fish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok so we just got a 10 gallon tank and are about to get fish for in it. I am wondering about what types of materials I should have on hand for regular maintenance and how often I should be cleaning the tank.
Not having any problems yet but haven't introduced fish. I am very much a newbie to fish care.

Ok so we just got a 10 gallon tank and are about to get fish for in it. I am wondering about what types of materials I should have on hand for regular maintenance and how often I should be cleaning the tank.
Not having any problems yet but haven't introduced fish. I am very much a newbie to fish care.

First the tank needs to be cycled.

You'll need-
A gravel vac
Buckets
Seachem Prime
Fish food
Tank cleaner sponge

Don't go buy me lol, I'm way overboard some may say...

On hand I have:

Back up Aqua Clear 110 filter
2 heaters
Fish food (variety)
2 buckets
2 HUGE Rubbermaid tubs
4 battery operated air pumps
Medications (variety)
Kosher salt
Numerous bags of purigen
Numerous containers of chemi pure elite
Case of replacement AC110 sponges
Aqueon water changer
Replacement hose for water changer
Replacement "T" valve for water changer
2 nets (1 XL and 1 L)
Brine shrimp net
Bags of poly fill
20 pound bag of crushed coral
Case of media bags
3 top fin digital thermometers
4 2 liter bottles of Prime

I think that's it... My wife asked if I was getting the fish tank ready for the end of the world. I said I just wanted to have what I need just in case.

Thank you for all advice. We are doing a freshwater tank and cycling was recommended to us before we got fish so the initial spike didn't kill them. We went in to the local fish store and had the levels checked and they were still a bit off but did look at the vacuums and scrubby sponges for the glass. Also picked up some extra buckets at the hardware store for when we do the first cleaning. Will be picking up extra filers when we get the fish to have on hand.

When looking at thermometers; keeping in mind this is a tank for my 2 year old, are the ones that stick to the glass adequate or should I get one that goes in the water that is removable.

When looking at thermometers; keeping in mind this is a tank for my 2 year old, are the ones that stick to the glass adequate or should I get one that goes in the water that is removable.

First mistake..thinking the tank will be for your child lol! That's how I ended up with ALL my tanks!
I personally like the submersible ones best that suction to the glass. They run anywhere from $5-$25 dollars here for smaller tanks.

Don't go buy me lol, I'm way overboard some may say...

On hand I have:

Back up Aqua Clear 110 filter
2 heaters
Fish food (variety)
2 buckets
2 HUGE Rubbermaid tubs
4 battery operated air pumps
Medications (variety)
Kosher salt
Numerous bags of purigen
Numerous containers of chemi pure elite
Case of replacement AC110 sponges
Aqueon water changer
Replacement hose for water changer
Replacement "T" valve for water changer
2 nets (1 XL and 1 L)
Brine shrimp net
Bags of poly fill
20 pound bag of crushed coral
Case of media bags
3 top fin digital thermometers
4 2 liter bottles of Prime

I think that's it... My wife asked if I was getting the fish tank ready for the end of the world. I said I just wanted to have what I need just in case.

What on earth!:eek: Convict ... you didn't mention you were opening your own fish supply store at home!

My son loves fish and my husband wants a 50+ tank we got him his to start us out. I know we will end up with a few tanks but starting with a small one for my son appeased my husband and gives me good reason to take up the huge stand my husband would want to put his tank on until my son is old enough to have a tank in his room.

What on earth!:eek: Convict ... you didn't mention you were opening your own fish supply store at home!

Hahahaha that's what she said. After the thread about that poor guy who's tank cracked and needed Rubbermaid tubs and all kinds of things. I bought the store so to speak so if anything were to happen I'd be ready. Guess I may have went a little overboard. Unless you can think of something I forgot?

Hahahaha that's what she said. After the thread about that poor guy who's tank cracked and needed Rubbermaid tubs and all kinds of things. I bought the store so to speak so if anything were to happen I'd be ready. Guess I may have went a little overboard. Unless you can think of something I forgot?

Water??

You wouldn't hapen to have an "emergency" 125gal with stand on standby would you? You know, sometimes the emergency tanks have to be a their home or awhile.

OK so I have gotten a few of the supplies and have plans to get the rest before the first through cleaning. But I have run into an issue now that I have added fish. I had one fish get their fin caught in the filter and I was wondering if there is anything that can be done to help prevent this.

OH BTW Convict my hubby and I are getting into "prepping" and your list was very helpful in that aspect.

OK so I have gotten a few of the supplies and have plans to get the rest before the first through cleaning. But I have run into an issue now that I have added fish. I had one fish get their fin caught in the filter and I was wondering if there is anything that can be done to help prevent this.

OH BTW Convict my hubby and I are getting into "prepping" and your list was very helpful in that aspect.

Haha glad my OCD and craziness can help! :)

Back
Top Bottom