what to add?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mumrah

Aquarium Advice Freak
Some of the stock in my 55g has been recently relocated, so i'm wanting to add some more fish. It currently houses 5 loaches, 1 common pleco, 1 rainbow shark, and 1 angel. I'm about to move 6 zebra danios in too.

So, what should i look into for this tank? It is a pretty alkaline tank as my tapwater's pH is ~7.8 and there's a big chunck of Suwannee River Limestone in there. I was thinking about some african cichlids, but i think they are a bit too aggressive for this tank.

Any ideas?
-David

look into some rainbowfish...really colorful, active swimmers ( you have a great space) ... and suited to your water...

What type of loaches? If they are clowns, then they will need a much larger tank as they can get up to 14" each. For adding more fish, you could put in 3 more angels.

Your clown loaches and common pleco have the potential to grow to 12 inches. They're both slow growers, but just something to bear in mind.

If you switched the limestone for a piece of driftwood, you could make a really nice angelfish tank. Another angel, some danios, and a few schools of large tetras would make a nice addition. My only concern would be the rainbow shark - they can get very aggressive as they mature.

African cichlids require very alkaline water that is incompatible with your current livestock. You could make a very nice rift valley tank, but you would need to relocate your loaches, pleco, and angel.

the guy who i bought my tank/stand from had a ~200g with several dozen loaches in it and a ton of rock. He kept 5 or 6 larger african cichlids in there, so that's why i asked.

Oh, and when my loaches out grow my tank, i'll probably give them to him. He's always looking to add loaches to his colony.

I will look into the rainbowfish as i do not plan on removing my limestone.

thanks for the fast responses!
-david

none of them are over 8" or so. they have plenty of room. and by several, i probably meant 2. Still, there are a pile of them in there.

Back
Top Bottom