What to do with my QT tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GNarnian

Aquarium Advice Freak
After several months, My new tank is fully stocked. But now that it is, I have my lightly planted QT tank sitting empty.

I'm looking for something to put in it that will keep it cycled in the event I need it to treat an illness. (And so I'll have something to look at) ;-)

What do you guys think? Should I try to keep it cycled? And if so, what could I put in there? Inverts maybe?

Hi! The issue will then become what to do with whatever you may stock in this tank in the event you have to treat an illness. Snails/inverts have a neglible bioload and probably wont keep it cycled at a level to house fish. Alot of meds will wipe inverts out as well. It may be a better option to stock the tank with something you enjoy and run an extra filter on this tank or your big tank in the event you need to setup a qt in a hurry. I do keep a cycled qt going with doses of ammonia and use it to grow out plants though I may eventually switch this over to something else when I find another cheap tank I can keep on hand for qt purposes. Just something to think about! :)

Okay there's an idea. If I just grow out plants in there, which I had considered, how often would I need to dose ammonia?

I 'try' to dose 2-3x a week but the operative word is 'try'. I forget about it and it goes days with no ammonia but I have never had an issue keeping it cycled. I change out 100% of the water maybe once or twice a month (once again, when I remember to!) and add some ferts once in awhile. Theres some pond snails in it and they are basically my indicator if something is amiss. A few months ago, I noticed they were all dead overnight. I checked the ph which is usually @8 and it was below 6! When I have had to use it, I just change out all the water & its good to go! I try to keep it as simple & as little work as possible (unless, of course, theres fish in it). :)

All you need to do is run an extra filter on your main tank. That way if you ever do need the QT tank you can just set it up, add the extra filter and it's cycled. I have my QT tank in a closet. QT tanks should be very clean without anything in them to prevent contamination; having it set up and in use in the interim sort of defeats the purpose I think.

Back
Top Bottom