What to put in a 20 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jaken

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone.

I want to get a 20 gal starter kit. I currently have a Betta, and I was thinking of adding him to the tank. What kind of fish can I put with a Betta? I was thinking of some neons, but what else can I put in there?

If i decided to keep my Betta in his tank, what would you put in the 20 Gal?

Do female Bettas prefer to be on there own or with several? How aggressive are they? Could I keep guppies with them?

Is it a good idea for a beginner to start with plants?

I'm not a good writer so I'm sorry I'm all over the place.

Thanks!

First off, everyone here will tell you to make sure you get a 20 gallon long instead of tall. Neons may nip the fins of the betta... and better choice would be a school of 8-10 danios, and a school of 6 panda cories. They would go great with the betta.

Keeping the betta in his tank, you could do a school of neons or danios, with a school of cories and throw in a dwarf gourami.

I've never kept a female betta before, so can't discuss that but I know male bettas can sometimes be aggressive to guppies because of their fin size.

I keep crypts and java ferns in my low light, none fertilized, none co2 tank just fine.

Hi - before you think about what fish to add to the tank you should start doing a fishless cycle. Here's a post I just responded to with the relevant information
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=88858

Once you do that you'll have lots of time to think about stocking.

As for plants, you can do a low light planted tank without alot of effort, but it will require an upgrade to the standard stock lights that come with the standard tank hood, so you might want to look at the stickies in the planted tanks forum and ask some questions there before you decide what equipment to get.

I have 2 tall 20g, and i love them both. One is a death trap to any betta that enters, and the other is a barb tank. I don't know why, but everytime i add a betta to that other 20g, two days later it is dead.

I would defintly cycle the tank first, read the article that was posted.

As for stocking, I would suggest danios over neons. they are much hardier, and will probably live longer than neons. If you want the color of the neons, and are willing to spend an extra $1 or so per fish, i would suggest cardinals. They seem to be a little hardier than their cousins. I had a school of ten danios for over six months. My neons that I bought at the same time i only had for four months. I bought a second school of ten, and they only lasted a month.

as far as a centerpiece fish, i would recommend a betta or dwarf gourami. I keep both (not in the same tank), and love them both.

For a 20g, I would also suggest a small school (3-4) of small cories (pandas or juliies are really cute), and a couple ottos, or a small pleco (rubber lips are my favorites)

HTH

Larger livebearers like platies and swords do well with bettas, and the betta will get a free meal with the fry he can catch. Female bettas can be housed with other females, but never male/female combos.

/

I know the basics about aquariums, and am getting the long one.

I will read about the cycling just before I get my aquarium, which will probably be just before Christmas some time.

Right now I'm just trying to figure out what fish are compatible in my aquarium. I'm kinda over excited right now.

I love the dwarf gourami.

How often should I do water changes? With my betta I do about one partial change a week. Is that to little?

Is there any other unusual looking fish I could put in there?

Thanks you!

With a 20 gallon it hardly matters if you go long or tall. Its only a few inches and a small volume. Believe it or not, a 20 gallon high stock tank is longer and shorter than a 20 gallon long. Figure that out.

DepotFish said:
With a 20 gallon it hardly matters if you go long or tall. Its only a few inches and a small volume. Believe it or not, a 20 gallon high stock tank is longer and shorter than a 20 gallon long. Figure that out.
Come again? :?: :?: :?:

Well... I guess if the 20 long has a larger depth, that would be true.

My 20L is taller than my 20H and on one of the websites with a list of size-gallon conversions the height is bigger with the 20L listed.

What? My 20H is 24"Lx12"Wx16"H. The 20 long is 30"Lx12"Wx12"H. The 20 long has the same footprint as the 29 gallon but is shorter. That's how it is for AGA tanks, anyway.

Back
Top Bottom