what type of filtration needed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sagacious

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 110 gallon tank. I just want to put some goldfish in it with decorations :) no live plants or anything. What type of filtration and water change schedule might be needed for this?

50% water changes a week that is broke down into two 25% changes a week. With the filters id aim for a fx5 and a hob filter like the ac110, or do a sump.

Last edited:
Fully stocked goldfish tanks should be filtered at 10 X tank volume.

Add with due respect, two 25% water changes in a week are two 25% water changes.

Add with due respect, two 25% water changes in a week are two 25% water changes.

I'm not clear on exactly what you mean here; I am only curious because I keep fancy goldfish as well, and was attempting to keep to a 50% per week water change (I actually have been doing it more frequently because of more free time on my hands/my freelance work schedule) -- what do you mean by the statement "with due respect, two 25% water changes in a week are two 25% water changes"? Are you saying the two 25% changes per week is okay to do instead of one larger 50% per week?

No. I meant two 25% water changes in a week don't mean you've changed 50% of the water in your tank. It means one day you changed 25% of what was there on that day, and another day, you changed 25% of what was there on that one.

I do 50% water changes at a time.

Last edited:
No. I meant two 25% water changes in a week don't mean you've changed 50% of the water in your tank. It means one day you changed 25% of what was there on that day, and another day, you changed 25% of what was there on that one.

I do 50% water changes at a time.

Ahhhhh...okay. Thanks for the clarifiction; so, you think it's best for the water and tank to do a 50% at one time change?

With goldfish, yes.

Now, you said you have a 110 gallon tank. If you only put a couple of goldies in there to begin with, 25% will probably be adequate. After the tank cycles fully, you could add others, one at a time, and would probably need to up the quantity of the water changes.

I'm sure you've read how incredibly messy goldfish are. In addition to that, they have a significant body mass.

I'd also suggest that you may want to reconsider the live plant idea. Plants are a natural filtration system, something that is a definite plus for any tank, and most especially for a goldfish tank.

I don't know what type of goldfish you are considering, but if it's any of the delicate fancies (bubble eyes, celestials, etc.), look over any decorations carefully for sharp edges.

Doorways in caves and those double rock things with the holes in the middle look real cute, but fancy goldfish are kind of clumsy, and they don't understand that while they have grown, the opening in that decoration hasn't.

With goldfish, yes.

Now, you said you have a 110 gallon tank. If you only put a couple of goldies in there to begin with, 25% will probably be adequate. After the tank cycles fully, you could add others, one at a time, and would probably need to up the quantity of the water changes.

I'm sure you've read how incredibly messy goldfish are. In addition to that, they have a significant body mass.

I'd also suggest that you may want to reconsider the live plant idea. Plants are a natural filtration system, something that is a definite plus for any tank, and most especially for a goldfish tank.

I don't know what type of goldfish you are considering, but if it's any of the delicate fancies (bubble eyes, celestials, etc.), look over any decorations carefully for sharp edges.

Doorways in caves and those double rock things with the holes in the middle look real cute, but fancy goldfish are kind of clumsy, and they don't understand that while they have grown, the opening in that decoration hasn't.

I'm not the OP, and I don't have a 110 gallon......:confused:

Back
Top Bottom