What Type of Substrate for 55 gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Techdad

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
M going to be moving my tank very soon to a new house and I was going to replace the store bought gravel with pool filter sand. Any help on this topic? I have a 55 gallon freshwater with some live plants.

If you like the look of pool filter sand then go with it. I am in the minority because I prefer the look of gravel. I have never changed the substrate of a tank that was already set up so I can't comment on that, but I'm sure you will want to move the fish to a safe location while you take out the gravel and add the pool filter sand.

Changing it shouldn't be that hard since your moving it. As far as the sand goes, it all depends on what color your wanting!

I like pool filter sand. the only downside to them is that you can't pick the colors on certain brands. (seagull)
and there really isn't much choices of color if you get to choose.
overall just make sure you wash it good if you decide to get some

boadams87 said:
Im seeing alot of people using the Crayola play sand from Walmart. Its very bright.

OMG instead of clown puke gravel they have colored sand now ???? Ick !! I prefer to see my fish, not my substrate.

Dark background and substrate often help fish show their brightest colors. They may pale out on lighter substrates.

I use Black Diamond Blasting Sand or Tahitian Moon Sand. Black sand and live plants :)
image-39532314.jpg

Coursair said:
OMG instead of clown puke gravel they have colored sand now ???? Ick !! I prefer to see my fish, not my substrate.

Dark background and substrate often help fish show their brightest colors. They may pale out on lighter substrates.

I use Black Diamond Blasting Sand or Tahitian Moon Sand. Black sand and live plants :)

I use the black diamond too

Back
Top Bottom