What's a good pool filter sand ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ivan2020

Aquarium Advice Activist
I used to have pool filter sand in my aquarium way back but I forgot the name of the brand

I've never actually seen anyone state a specific brand of pool filter sand. Are they not all pretty much the same?

I've never actually seen anyone state a specific brand of pool filter sand. Are they not all pretty much the same?

Definitely not the same grade/grain size or color. The colors range from white to the dark beige end of the spectrum and some are actually a mix of lighter and darker colors. Grade (or grain size) depends on what type of filtration system its being used for. Personal favorite is Mystic White or Mystic White 2 pool filter sand although I have only found it at my tiny local supplier (or online). May be more more common in warmer states. :)

I did not know that! Learn something new every day. In Oregon you have to go to a pool supply store to get it, we don't have it at lowes or home Depot etc, so that makes sense

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Definitely not the same grade/grain size or color. The colors range from white to the dark beige end of the spectrum and some are actually a mix of lighter and darker colors. Grade (or grain size) depends on what type of filtration system its being used for. Personal favorite is Mystic White or Mystic White 2 pool filter sand although I have only found it at my tiny local supplier (or online). May be more more common in warmer states. :)

Thanks I'll see if I can find that

Why would you use sand in a filter? I'm confused. What's pool sand?

Not for our aquarium filters but for swimming pool filtration systems. Pool filter sand is a 100% silica quartz sand that does not react with water or various chemicals in the water (inert) which makes it a great aquatic substrate. It's also a heavy, clean sand that does not compact nor is it easily disturbed. The bonus is its very inexpensive (@$10 for 50lbs) in comparison to sand sold in lfs stores. Hope this helps! :)

Not for our aquarium filters but for swimming pool filtration systems. Pool filter sand is a 100% silica quartz sand that does not react with water or various chemicals in the water (inert) which makes it a great aquatic substrate. It's also a heavy, clean sand that does not compact nor is it easily disturbed. The bonus is its very inexpensive (@$10 for 50lbs) in comparison to sand sold in lfs stores. Hope this helps! :)

That makes sense! Thanks! That sounds like a great alternative to lfs sand! Lol :)

That makes sense! Thanks! That sounds like a great alternative to lfs sand! Lol :)

I used to have it in one of my tanks it looks very realistic it's easier to clean than gravel it's coarser than play sand it is definitely a great option for your budget

Back
Top Bottom