Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-19-2012, 10:04 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

What's in your Aquaclear?

All,

I have a Aquaclear 70. I have read all over this forum different ideas of what to put in, two sponges, no carbon, two bio max, Fluval biomax etc. Wanted to know what everyone has in their filters and how they are doing keeping their tanks clean and healthy.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:16 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ359
All,

I have a Aquaclear 70. I have read all over this forum different ideas of what to put in, two sponges, no carbon, two bio max, Fluval biomax etc. Wanted to know what everyone has in their filters and how they are doing keeping their tanks clean and healthy.
I run a fx5 and the AC 119 just for filter floss or polishing pads and a sponge. Mostly have it just incase something fails or if I need to add a media bag with carbon, crushed coral etc... Just a lot of options and I don't have to break down the fx5.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:28 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I am new to the fishy world. I am running two aquaclear 110s on my 90 gallon. had it up and running since jan 21.

I have just the foam insert on the bottom, then some extra active filter from angelsplus stuffed on top of that and then biomax on top. seems to be working fine so far...
Old 03-19-2012, 01:59 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Filter Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ359 View Post
All,

Hello Russ...

I use pads from HBH in my ACs. There are different kinds depending on individual tank conditions. There's polyfiber, carbon (not really needed if you do large, weekly water changes), phosphate, and ammonia pads. They're really dense and filter out the smallest particles of plant and fish material, so the tank water is always crystal clear.

Pretty simple.

B
Old 03-19-2012, 02:01 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I have an aquaclear 70 stuffed with the sponge and two layers of quilter's batting on top of the sponge.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:08 PM   #6

Aquaclear with 2 sponges on the bottom and the Bio-Max on top, no carbon. My thoughts I can change out one sponge at a time and keep a dirty one to seed the new one when it's time to change the filters it they start falling apart.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:16 PM   #7

thanks, so two sponges rather than one sponge and two bio-max? Is the Fluval bio-max better than the aquaclear or is it about the same?
I have read that the carbon is a waste unless there is a specific reason to use for a short period of time
Old 03-19-2012, 06:41 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I also have the AC70 and just have the 2 sponges on the bottom and the bio-max on top. From what I was told the carbon isn't really needed inless you are taking out meds. Just make sure to do frequent water changes
Old 03-19-2012, 08:50 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

[biomax]
[sponge]
[sponge]

that's how I do it.

Tags
aquaclear, clear

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com