Whats taking so long on my cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Krayzie

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 20 gallon tank, with plenty of bubbles going on, and a filter. I've been cycling for more than 2 months and I figured I would have had enough bacteria built by now. So far the bacteria eats the ammonia in no less than 2-3 days. I am adding the ammonia from aces, so I know its not a problem with the ammonia. I added ammonia 2 days ago to 4ppm, and today it is at 2~ppm.

Heres the results of the Nitrites, and Nitrates. Water might be a little tinted from drift wood, i threw it out btw.
2w7rb0l.jpg

Heres a pic of the tank waiting patiently for fish.
fdhzko.jpg

You don't need to test both regular and high range pH. The high range is just there if your regular range pH measures off the chart.

I suggest testing your tap ph, doing a substantial WC, and using some sort of buffer like crushed coral or aragonite to bring your pH up. Nitrification stalls as the pH drops into the 6s.

Last edited:
You don't need to test both regular and high range pH. The high range is just there if your regular range pH measures off the chart.

I suggest testing your tap ph and using some sort of buffer like crushed coral or aragonite to bring your pH up, nitrification stalls as the pH drops into the 6s.

I will test the tap PH now. I live in a small town, kinda hard to find that stuff.

Tap PH is around 7.5

Crushed coral should be fairly easy to come by, but even still the tap may be sufficiently buffered and the ph is just dropping from the massive amount of nitrification going on in the tank. It's one of my gripes with the 'standard' fishless cycling routine that most people do, but that's a side note.

Until you can get a buffer material you could just do some big water changes and redose ammonia accordingly.

Crushed coral should be fairly easy to come by, but even still the tap may be sufficiently buffered and the ph is just dropping from the massive amount of nitrification going on in the tank. It's one of my gripes with the 'standard' fishless cycling routine that most people do, but that's a side note.

Until you can get a buffer material you could just do some big water changes and redose ammonia accordingly.

I actually just checked my walmart and found some. I have no idea how to use it, can you give me the basics please.

Yes I'd still do a big water change and redose, getting the pH up is the most important thing at this point, the crushed coral will just help it along. Have a look in the articles section there is a few fishless cycling guides that explain it all.

Just did a 40% water change, and dosed ammonia. Will be back with PH and Ammonia.

PH is still around 8.4 or so. Is this dangerous to the cycle, what shall I do? BTW do I still need crushed coral? PH confuses me sorry this is my first cycle.

Don't worry about that high pH it comes from the ammonia. I don't think you need the crushed coral but it probably won't hurt. Just keep an eye on your PH if it drops down below 7 do a 50% water change and redose the ammonia. Since the pH from your tap is 7.5 it should be sufficient to aid the cycling process.

Do you have nitrite or nitrate yet? Two months is a while to be stuck on the ammonia phase. I concur that your PH had something to do with the stalls; a PH of 6 can stop nitrification. The water change brought the PH back up so that's good. Keep testing PH and if it starts falling below 7 again do a water change to get it back up. Hopefully the bacteria will catch up now and you'll start seeing some progress. If the PH keeps falling quickly you can use the crushed coral you bought to help buffer the water. Just put a pinch or so in your filter (if you have a media bag or clean pantyhose or something to put it in that's good) then keep testing PH. If it keeps dropping, add more.

Don't worry about that high pH it comes from the ammonia. I don't think you need the crushed coral but it probably won't hurt. Just keep an eye on your PH if it drops down below 7 do a 50% water change and redose the ammonia. Since the pH from your tap is 7.5 it should be sufficient to aid the cycling process.

Thank you. Right now my PH is high, 8.8 or so, does this affect the cycle? Or is it actually good?

Do you have nitrite or nitrate yet? Two months is a while to be stuck on the ammonia phase. I concur that your PH had something to do with the stalls; a PH of 6 can stop nitrification. The water change brought the PH back up so that's good. Keep testing PH and if it starts falling below 7 again do a water change to get it back up. Hopefully the bacteria will catch up now and you'll start seeing some progress. If the PH keeps falling quickly you can use the crushed coral you bought to help buffer the water. Just put a pinch or so in your filter (if you have a media bag or clean pantyhose or something to put it in that's good) then keep testing PH. If it keeps dropping, add more.

Ammonia- 1.5ppm
Nitrites- looks around 0
Nitrates-looks around 0 as well

Back
Top Bottom