What's your opinion on this set-up?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How am I doing for a Newbie?

• Great Job, Keep it up

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pretty good for a new guy

• I'm a little concerned

• You need to make changes and quick!

• You and you fish are royally screwed, put everything up on EBay and find a new hobby

• Total voters

Rocket2001

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello All,
I started my new tank on Aug. 1st

Its a 29gal freshwater community

I have:
a Fluval 303 canister
a Visa-Therm 150 watt heater

Its populated by:
6 Zebra Danios
5 Bloodfined Tetras
1 Male pineapple Swordtail
1 Sunset Wag Platy
1 Silver Lyretail Molly
1 Black Lyretail Molly
1 Redtailed Shark
1 Spotted Pitcus Catfish

it is planted with:
2 med. plants
2 Lg. plants
4 x-sm. plants
(all artificial)

Decorations include:
2 small ancient greek ruins
1 Lg. centerpiece ancient greek ruins
(when i figure out how to post picture I upload one)

I use Nutrafin "Cycle" additive weekly and I feed the fish Wardley's Total Tropical Gourmet Flake Blend
They are fed once daily and I skip Sat. feeding

water conditions are checked twice weekly at local Petco (all is well) so far
(in the near future i will invest in a home test kit)

I am aware thet the Pitcus Cat may give me problems in the future but i hope by then I'll have a bigger tank to move him to. for now he's found a quiet spot nestled under one of the larger plants. And my RTS had claimed his territory in and around the Lg Greek columns in the middle of the tank. He defends his area "gently" for now.
Also I had two Blk Skirt Tetras before i added the Bloodfins but they got too agressive with the Wht Molly banging him against the glass, so i evicted them and replaced them with the Bloodfins. Also I had a mide bout of Ich with th BST before I evicted them and treated with Maracide. no problems now.
I wanted to get some feedback from the seasoned pros:
How's the set up look?
How's my population?
What am i doing wrong?
What should i beware of?
Is my tank full or can more fish be added like a dwarf ram cichlidid or something?

Hi, I'm still kinda learning too, so my comments may not be accurate, but I'd like to point out several things.

Platies, Mollies, and Swordtails are really peaceful fish, and may not be so suitable with the aggressive shark. The shark would need a lot of swimming spaces. Your tank may be too small for all those fish and plants and decorations. But who am I to say this. I have an overstocked tank full of platies :evil:

I dont think it is necessary for you to use the Cycle additive weekly. It's just un-natural. The only additive I use is dechlorinator. Once your tank is cycled and established, you should not need to use any chemical. It would just disturb the water balance.

Anything that Pictus Cat can get into its mouth, well go there. It's going to get to aggressive and big for your tank.

I voted - I'm a little concerned.
The first thing that jumps out at me is that you added to many fish to soon. Hope it works out ok.

You know, that was my concern also, (along with the Pitcus Cat).
My enthusaium and my two young daughters wanting new fish everyday got the better of me. So I am a bit concerned but I am keeping a close watch and spend more time at the PETCO down the street from my house than I ever expected. They have a very knowelgable expert that heads the Aquatics Dept. He now knows me by name (after a week and a half).

After the Pictus eats a couple of his tank mates. It'll bring the number of fish down to an acceptible capacity. Then you can return the Pictus for store credit and use it to buy food. :roll: errrr

I'm not that worried about the Pitcus cat he's less than 2 in long right now (a mere babe). I'm planning to have a larger tank within a year 55-90gal and he'll be very happy there. i'm planning to move the Red Tailed Shark also and leave the Mollies, Danios and Tetras in the 30 gal. I think it a good plan.

Back
Top Bottom