Whats your thoughts on 5 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nope I didn't wash the dirt, so that's my problem. It's settling but the dirt is coating my plants so I'll have to wash that off. Hopefully it will not be too big of a problem!

Yep, since you didn't pre-wet it you got more particles in the water column. It is good that it is slowly settling. Do not disturb anything until it has finished settling out for the most part. Once settled, use a syphon (gravel vacuum, but I use airline tubing for more concentrated vacuuming) to remove the dust. Then you should be mainly clear. (y)

Ok the gravel vacuum. Would just mix it up again right, or is there any other way to remove the layer of dust???

Yeah, it will mix it up if you use it like you would for plain gravel. However, if you hold it about an inch from the substrate/plants it should vacuum up the dust without disturbing the dirt even more.

I think I'm going to have to get a smaller gravel vacuum, the one I have now is way too big!

It's getting there, my tank is cycling!!!
Here's a new pic:

Attachments

• image-3998760068.jpg
    image-3998760068.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 81
The cloudiness should settle with time, the flourite will make it cloudy for longer than usual (I have it in my puffers tank and also in my 39g). I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this or not, but the puffers are super sensitive to nitrates and ammonia, so I would let the tank cycle with the snails for a couple weeks until the ammonia/nitrate levels drop off. Also, I've never known puffers to be sexed. I've always read/heard that they're almost impossible to tell apart just by looking at them.
They sure are fun fish though!! I love ours, they have so much personality, it's crazy, I've never had a fish with so much personality and character before!

Ok so I have duckweed in my tank, I have heard it grows fast but how fast will it really grow? How much time until it covers my tank???

I don't know how long the duckweed takes. I just got some myself, so I am curious to know that too. I have heard some mixed stories about duckweed. :)

Well, it will grow somewhat quickly and shade your plants that are anchored in the substrate. I haven't seen exponential growth from my duckweed that others have stated. It will soak up ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates very well. It seems as though growth varies depending on your aquarium conditions. I don't know how much time for it to cover the tank, how much do you have right now? I would guess somewhere around a month or so; just a guess.

I use floating hornwort, restrained by a piece of fishing line, to hold my duckweed in place. I just tie the line around the hornwort and then use the hood to hold the fishing line in place. The duckweed will then get hung up in the hornwort and it will stay in place....sorta. If you get duckweed, you will have some on your intake.

I already have some duckweed, it only covers about 1/4 of my 5 gallon tank. I think I will let it cover about 1/2 of the tank. Then that seems like a good amount!!!

Yeah, then you can just start thinning it out. I love the stuff because it is a great nitrAte soaking plant. Funny thing is some people can get Duckweed to take over a tank, whereas others just can't grow it.

It's starting to come together! But my tank now seems to have some diatoms growing on the rocks!

So what do you think, will pea puffers eat shrimp, like ghost shrimp. How about keeping freshwater clams with them, or assassin snails???

It depends. Some dp will eat those shrimp, some don't. I think most do though. Clams and assassin snail are likely to be meals. No guarantees though.

Back
Top Bottom