when can I put fish in my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Murphy9

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
When will I know my tank is fully cycled? What am I suppose to look for to know my tank is ready?

When will I know my tank is fully cycled? What am I suppose to look for to know my tank is ready?

Your water params will be:
0 ammonia and nitrite and you should only have nitrates be the only thing showing up. If you did a
Fishless cycle your nitrates will probably be sky high, all you need to do is a large water change to get levels under 40ppm.

I tried a fished cycle because my LFS said it would work..so i purchased 8 zebra danios and they died in 3 days..now I don't know what to do next

I tried a fished cycle because my LFS said it would work..so i purchased 8 zebra danios and they died in 3 days..now I don't know what to do next

Did you add an ammonia source during your cycle? If not than you never cycled your tank. Also do you have a liquid test kit kit check
Your water params?

Did you add an ammonia source during your cycle? If not than you never cycled your tank. Also do you have a liquid test kit kit check
Your water params?

No..I had my water tested at Petsmart and they said everything looked good. All I needed to do was add dechlorinator. So I did, then waited about 2 days to add the danios to start the fished cycle. None said anything about adding ammonia.

No..I had my water tested at Petsmart and they said everything looked good. All I needed to do was add dechlorinator. So I did, then waited about 2 days to add the danios to start the fished cycle. None said anything about adding ammonia.

You never started your cycle then. Just letting a tank run doesn't cycle a tank. You need an ammonia source to start the cycling process. Let me grab the link to fishless cycling for you!

Thanks..since those fish died in there do i need to do a water change? By the way thanks so much for the help, I'm new to this hobby

No problem, we've all been where you are, listened to LFS/petsmart/petco and been steered wrong. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to change it, it won't hurt anything!

Back
Top Bottom