When is it safe to add more fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SquishyPenguin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all! Thanks to everyone who's helped me with my previous questions.

My tropical tank has been running for very close to three weeks now, and it seems like it's reached the end of the cycle. I have a 54 litre.

I did fish-in, and about three days ago reached 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite and 5 Nitrate - I've had 5 nitrate for a while but it was only three days ago that nitrites hit complete 0 all on their own! :)

I currently have 6 Cardinal Tetra that've been in there for just under two weeks and are all happy and recently a small horned Nerite snail that's been in there for about 3 days now.

My question is when will I be able to add more fish? I haven't seen a solid answer other than "when it's cycled". I'm looking to add a single male betta at the moment and will need to order him online as the LFS does not stock the ones I want. Got my eye on two pretty half moons so I won't be too salty if one sells, I can get the other :D

Should I wait until I see Nitrates rise, to be sure that the cycle is fully completed? If for some reason they do not rise but ammonia and nitrite remain 0, what would happen in that scenario?
Basically how much longer is it best to wait and should I be looking for anything in particular to keep an eye on? :)

:thanks:

Edit:
I also have been using Seachem Stability for two weeks, but stopped the past week following a friends advice. My tank 'finished' cycling this past week without adding any extra stability -
Should I refrain from adding any more stability in the future, or is it still recommended I add it when I do water changes?
I've heard mixed things as to whether or not it's necessary/helpful or if it even might be detrimental to keep throwing in new bacteria and having it "compete" with the BB already established in the filter. And obviously, nobody wants to keep buying a product that isn't necessary for them to use.

I used Stability to cycle one of my tanks: worked fine, but I only add it now after doing filter maintenance.

I'd say wait another week to make sure the water conditions stay stable, then you can add new fish. Regarding a betta, they're my favorite fish (so much personality in 2-3 inches), but they don't always get on well with "roommates." I suspect he'll be fine with the cardinals, but I'd watch him, just in case. Oh, and I would consider adding three more cardinals: you've got the room, and the larger school will be more interesting to watch.

Good luck!

Thanks so much :D I wont use any more for now then in that case.

Seems fair! I've certainly heard mixed things and I do plan on having other fish in there, so I'll be keeping a close eye on what's going on. Worst comes to worst I'll just get him his own tank, I plan on picking up a few anyway just in case of emergencies ♥ Thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom