When to add fish after a cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Koppriecht

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello

My fish less cycle is complete so I have been adding ammonia each day until I get some fish. I plan on getting my cichlids this Saturday. Is it ok to do a 90% water change on Friday and let it sit overnight with no ammonia added?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Hello

My fish less cycle is complete so I have been adding ammonia each day until I get some fish. I plan on getting my cichlids this Saturday. Is it ok to do a 90% water change on Friday and let it sit overnight with no ammonia added?

Sounds fine to me! What are your 2-3 most recent readings?

I am new to this myself and just finished my first cycle on the 20th, but, that sounds good to me! I hope a few other people will chime in too :)

It took over a month, but my tank is now at 0 ammonia ( before dosing), 0 nitrite, and 160+ ppm nitrate. Been that way for about 4 days. I add about 4 ppm of ammonia each night and by the next night it is at 0.

That's great! The nitrate is way too high though which I am sure you know. Aim for under 40 but never over 40. Around 20 is probably best. At this point you don't need to add 4ppm every day, about 1ppm is fine until you add fish. Then do a big 90% change the night before you add fish, check the nitrates, and then you're good to go.
see here:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html

This is what we followed and it was amazingly helpful.

Back
Top Bottom