When to Add Fish to New Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jonni-Ishka

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys ,

So I recently purchased my first tank , it's a 90 L tank that I purchased from my local fish shop . It came with a filter and a heater , it's been 8 days now since I filled it up with the soil substrate plants etc.I decided not to put any fish in when I started it . I'm just wondering if anybody has any idea when i can fill it up with fishes as I am gagging to add some fish . I tested the nitrate level and it's relatively high :\

Also any recommendation on what fishes ?

Thanks guys ;)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411492420.908499.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What are you doing to cycle it? What are all your readings?

For fish to put in, there are quite a few options. Are you looking for a community, or something more specialized?

What are you doing to cycle it? What are all your readings?

For fish to put in, there are quite a few options. Are you looking for a community, or something more specialized?

What so u mean cycle it ? All I've done is set up my tank with substrate and planted lots of plants . I was told by the fish shop that my ammonia levels will rise first when the plants were added , it will will decrease then the nitrate would increase and once it comes back down then only I can add some fish . I just have no idea how long is that going to take , wondered if I could add some fish now after 8 days of my planted tank running .. :( ( I'm such a noob )

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium-186089.html
Here is a link to help you out. Cycling is the process of building up a colony of bacteria that convert the ammonia in your tank to less toxic forms. There are multiple ways to do this including cycling the tank with an ammonia source (fishless cycling) or starting by adding stock very slowly and keeping up on water changes (fish-in cycling). If you skip this step, you will be much more likely to lose quite a few fish if you just buy a bunch and put them all in at once because their poop contains ammonia which becomes toxic to them unless its is converted to a less toxic form by a bacterial colony.
Your fish shop owner described the process, but neglected to tell you that is takes more ammonia than just adding plants for that process to happen. Running the tank as is for 8 days does absolutely nothing (sorry to say) to help prepare for fish.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium-186089.html
Here is a link to help you out. Cycling is the process of building up a colony of bacteria that convert the ammonia in your tank to less toxic forms. There are multiple ways to do this including cycling the tank with an ammonia source (fishless cycling) or starting by adding stock very slowly and keeping up on water changes (fish-in cycling). If you skip this step, you will be much more likely to lose quite a few fish if you just buy a bunch and put them all in at once because their poop contains ammonia which becomes toxic to them unless its is converted to a less toxic form by a bacterial colony.
Your fish shop owner described the process, but neglected to tell you that is takes more ammonia than just adding plants for that process to happen. Running the tank as is for 8 days does absolutely nothing (sorry to say) to help prepare for fish.

Oh dear ! So what would u recomend I do ? Could I get some 2 fish and add them to the tank tomorow even though nitrate levels are a tiny bit high .. build up the fish slowly!? And if so how often to do water changes from then onwards x

How high is "a bit high?"
I suggest doing a pwc to get those levels down before putting in any fish. After that, if you want to start stocking slowly (like the 2 fish you suggested) you can. Just keep an eye on your levels and be prepared to do a big water change when necessary.
Do you have you own testing kit, or are you getting your water tested at a store?

Once a tank is stable and cycled, about 50% water changes once a week is good.
While it is cycling, it depends on the levels for how frequently the changes need ot happen.
Any idea what sort of fish you like? Do you want a basic community? Something like a few platys are great starter fish because they are colorful, active, peaceful, and decently hardy.

I have my own testing kit although only for nitrate ! I just tested it right now and it looks like it's the reddest Highest one on the scale . :(

Could I possibly get the quick start / safe start from the fish shop tomorow and add that to the water to bring the levels down and then put in 2 fish ?

What I really want in the tank is 2 gourami some community fish and some frogs of course ;) ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411505293.736494.jpg

I am pretty sure that is the wrong card.

You want to test NO3

I suggest getting a kit for testing the ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite. All 3 will be helpful in this case.
Most bottled bacteria has very limited effectiveness, though some is better than others. Personally, I just skip it because I don't think it is worth the money. If you do want to try it, you still need a full testing kit to make sure your levels are low. I wouldn't put any fish into your tank with that level so high, and lowering it takes time.
I would get the full kit to see what you are looking at with all of your water parameters. Most commonly available fish will be adaptable to things like your pH, but it is still good to know a water profile. :)
I am sorry there isn't a faster answer. I know you must be a bit impatient after waiting. But, patient is key with aquariums.

I started my tank with a fish in cycle with the use of tetra Safe Start. It is a 10 gal tank that I set up with dechlorinated water and some driftwood and plants that I ran for a week. Then using the master api test kit my levels were 0,0,0, for ammonia, nitrites and nitartes with a ph of 7.6. I then added 6 neon tetras and the entire bottle of the tetra safe start while the fish were in the bag in the tank for an hour. then I id nothing for two weeks except feed the fish and do head counts twice a day. Te only water I added at that time was dechlorinated water to make up for evaporation. At the end of the two weeks I again tested the water. It was 0,0 for ammonia and nitrites and 5 for the nitrates, ph 7.6 and the tank was cycled. Then I added a couple of more fish every week or two. and did the partial water changes. Mine is a very small tank but I would think it would also work on a large tank if you got the amt that you need. Just a note, I went to get another bottle of safe start for another tank and they now have two bottles with the same name but it has a green circle and one says monthly and one says start up. You would need the start up one. Alison :):fish2:

I started my tank with a fish in cycle with the use of tetra Safe Start. It is a 10 gal tank that I set up with dechlorinated water and some driftwood and plants that I ran for a week. Then using the master api test kit my levels were 0,0,0, for ammonia, nitrites and nitartes with a ph of 7.6. I then added 6 neon tetras and the entire bottle of the tetra safe start while the fish were in the bag in the tank for an hour. then I id nothing for two weeks except feed the fish and do head counts twice a day. Te only water I added at that time was dechlorinated water to make up for evaporation. At the end of the two weeks I again tested the water. It was 0,0 for ammonia and nitrites and 5 for the nitrates, ph 7.6 and the tank was cycled. Then I added a couple of more fish every week or two. and did the partial water changes. Mine is a very small tank but I would think it would also work on a large tank if you got the amt that you need. Just a note, I went to get another bottle of safe start for another tank and they now have two bottles with the same name but it has a green circle and one says monthly and one says start up. You would need the start up one. Alison :):fish2:

I think I'm going to do exactly that ! I just did a 30 % water change tonight to help bring the levels down . I shall wait till the weekend and start my cycling by adding the safe start and a couple of fish . Keeping a close eye on the levels with water changes , let's hope this will work ! Thank you so much guys , very much appreciated !! ;) x j

The issue with the bottled bacteria is primarily that not all the bacteria are always alive at the time of purchase. Often in transport, the bottles are not treated as nicely as one would prefer and their contents can die. I have heard mixed reviews about the Tetra brand, but some people have had it work out (as the above poster stated). I have heard more success stories with it than with the API one. If you want to try it, it is your money. Feel free. You won't hurt the tank if it doesn't work. :)

I think I'm going to do exactly that ! I just did a 30 % water change tonight to help bring the levels down . I shall wait till the weekend and start my cycling by adding the safe start and a couple of fish . Keeping a close eye on the levels with water changes , let's hope this will work ! Thank you so much guys , very much appreciated !! ;) x j

You need to make sure the levels are good before adding the fish. Remember that. Since all you are doing is adding a couple fish, I don't think it iwll make much different as long as the levels going in are fine. Keep testing, and do pwc as needed.
Feel free to do more like 50% water changes. No need to stick with small ones like 30%. With no stock in there, you could change 100% of the water.

Back
Top Bottom