When to add plants, during cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

idrankwhat

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hello all....

It started with a ping pong ball, a goldfish bowl, and my 6 yr old. I'm sure that is not a unique story.
I actually have always loved aquaria so this was a good excuse to get my kids started.

We have our goldfish, and after speaking with the LFS we bought 2 "lemon chunas" (from what I read- usually described as honey gouramis online). I read that these fish like lots of plantlife. The LFS sold us a horn wort plant which is in the tank now.

The tank is just one week old. I am following the ammonia levels and learning the cycling process, which we are (obviously) doing w/ fish in the tank.

Is it good/bad/indifferent to add more plants to the tank during this phase of the cycle? We like to look of a planted tank and if it benefits the fish we'd like to do it. I just don't know how (if at all) it affects/is affected by this part of the nitrogen cycle.

Also is it inevitable that my three current fish will be overstressed while the beneficial bacteria are building up?

thanks....

From my personal experience I would wait until your tank is fully cycled and established before adding plants. I say this because unhealthy plants can become a strong source of ammonia to a tank that is not equipped to handle it. Having said that, I must add that having a planted tank is not as easy as it may seem. Without the right lighting and nutrients, your plants will suffer and then your fish will suffer. Trust me, I just went through a month of high ammonia readings due to plants that were supposed to be able to thrive in low light conditions. It wasn't until I removed 90% of my plants was I able to get my water chemistry back into the healthy zone (and my tanks were not heavily planted). Right now I have what I consider beautiful tanks with predominantly artificial plants. I still plan to have a planted tank; I just know that I have to make the right investments upfront to ensure not only the health of my fish, but also the health of my plants. In the end, the 2 are linked.

What size is the tank? Gourami's and Gold fish don't mix well, they prefer different temperature's. Gourami's tropical water, and Goldfish Cold.

Ohneil is right and I highly respect his opinion, but if you decide to commit to having a planted tank (plants suited to your lighting or upgrading lighting kit, ferts, co2 if needed, etc...) I personally feel plants can provide a big benefit to fish-in cycling. A heavily planted tank can help tremendously to keep ammonia levels in check in between pwc's with certain types of fast growing plants. There is even a technique called silent cycling (more of an expert approach, but possible) where you can heavily plant your substrate (~50%) and very slowly stock your tank counting on your plants to help keep parameters within acceptable numbers.

I do agree that unless having plants will be the showcase of your tank (as opposed to the fish in some cases) it is not a good idea because as stated, unhealthy plants just add to the ammonia problem.

In the mean time, here's a fantastic guide to help you through the cycling process :)
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...-but-i-already-have-fish-what-now-116287.html

This still does leave the previously mentioned incompatibility issues, and if you have the option to rehome your fish...fishless cycling is always a fantastic option. There's a guide in my signature you can take a peek at. Good luck!

agree with previous comments I would just add that when a fish description says they prefer a heavily planted tank that usually means that the fish likes to have places to hide. The fish don't care if the plants are real or artificial. Of course I wouldn't discourage you from adding live plants if you want to. Wait until your cycle is finished and make sure you get low light plants unless you want to purchase additional lighting. Add only 1 or 2 plants at a time and see how they are doing after a couple months before you add more.

Thanks for the prompt replies.

-it's a 10g tank
-The plants and gouramis came at the recommendation of the LFS. He recommended setting the temperature in the low 70s , that both fish could tolerate this temp. He said that as the tank progresses if we lost the goldfish to set it higher if we wanted a warmer community tank

OhNeil- you say plants are a strong source of ammonia- is this only early, after which they metabolize ammonia?

Re CO2 i wasn't planning on it and thought because it's a small tank I could place a few plants to line the back of the tank and rely on ambient CO2 and whatever comes in through my air pump. I understand that CO2 is an important nutrient, but is my plan to passive?

One thing I've learned quickly in the short time I've been into this hobby is NEVER NEVER EVER trust what the LFS says without getting a second opinion on here :) They're job is to sell you things and unfortunately most don't care about the well being of the fish.

What kind of Goldfish is it? I've read most goldfish needs at 20g tank minimum.

Good luck!

+1 libraygirl, never trust most of the stuff the LFS says and goldfish need 20g coldwater tank. You should read up on cycling an aquarium as it is a dangerous time for your fish. Be sure to do frequent partial water changes and try to get the goldfish a new home if at all possible.

idrankwhat said:
Thanks for the prompt replies.

-it's a 10g tank
-The plants and gouramis came at the recommendation of the LFS. He recommended setting the temperature in the low 70s , that both fish could tolerate this temp. He said that as the tank progresses if we lost the goldfish to set it higher if we wanted a warmer community tank

OhNeil- you say plants are a strong source of ammonia- is this only early, after which they metabolize ammonia?

Re CO2 i wasn't planning on it and thought because it's a small tank I could place a few plants to line the back of the tank and rely on ambient CO2 and whatever comes in through my air pump. I understand that CO2 is an important nutrient, but is my plan to passive?

The plants only leech ammonia if they are unhealthy and the leaves are decaying...otherwise they act like an ammonia sponge soaking it up :)

Yes, healthy plants can do wonders for an aquarium. If you remove any plants that are dying/dead, then you don't need to worry about them leeching ammonia into your water. You should try to turn up the temperature in your aquarium as soon as you can get you goldfish its own home. Gouramis really prefer the temp. to never be below 74-75* for very long periods of time.

so far you have had good advices.

personally, I was cycling with plants in my tanks and both opinions are (ohneil and eco) correct in different ways. I experienced both ways with all my 4 planted tanks....but, yes, if you are serious with planted tanks, there are a lot of low light plants that you can choose from and work with that with your lighting (very important aspect when you go planted). CO2 will only be needed if you want medium-high light plants.

great thanks all
the tank is just one week old today
my NH3 was 0.25 on day 3 and 5
0.5 today and did my first PWC

Back
Top Bottom