When to add Stress Zyme

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

new2betas

Aquarium Advice Addict
With my new tank I got a packet of Stress Zyme. I set up the tank yesterday with a dechlorinator. It says it speeds the development of the biological filter. Is this something I should go ahead and add or wait a few days? Boy, you can really tell I am a ......... :n00b:

If its the stuff i'm thinking it is then add it at the start of the tank. It gives the "friendly" bactieria a kick up the bum to get going and start neutralising the nasty ammonia and nitrites.

I still add the version i've got every water change, with the dechlorinator.

best regards,

John

This product claims to contain live bacteria to seed your cycle. The majority of the products have proven to be little better than snake oil when used. The only one that actually has been reported to work consistantly is BioSpira, but only when it's been handled correctly at all times (kept refrigerated). I wouldn't bother with the Stress Zyme.

I agree with Purrbox, Stress Zyme contains no live beneficial bacteria and will not help speed your cycle at all. I would recommend a fishless cycle as it is more humane than cycling with fish.

Back
Top Bottom