When will sand settle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Plecolover18

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just added play-sand to a 20 gallon freshwater i was wondering when all that dirt would settle to the bottom I did a water change already but really nothing happened so what do u guys think

I just added play-sand to a 20 gallon freshwater i was wondering when all that dirt would settle to the bottom I did a water change already but really nothing happened so what do u guys think

Did you wash your sand thoroughly before you put it in? If yes, in my experience, it all settled within 24hrs.

The key to using sand, especially play sand is to wash it really really well. It is a pain but it eliminates/drastically reduces floating sand. Large, regular water changes will help. Put some filter floss in your filter and it will trap any fine sand. You could also try turning the filter off for an hour or so. This will help the stuff settle but it's still going to be in the tank.. When your doing water changes, when refilling, use a plate or a bowl and pour the water onto this. This will stop any water turbulence....

Back
Top Bottom