Where am I at with my cycling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nyan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Long story short, I acquired a new 55 gallon tank a couple of weeks ago. I had a 10 gallon set up with guppies, and then when a female gave birth, and the fry kept slipping through the breeding net, I decided to put the 6 adult guppies into the 55 gallon.

At the time of setting up the 55 gallon, I did not have a test kit. And living in Australia, I can't actually get my hands on ammonia to do an easy fish-less cycle. Although I did put food in the tank every day to get the ammonia levels up. Getting the API Master Test Kit in a shop would have been about $80, but I found it online for $30, so I decided it was worth waiting a week to get the test kit.

I did everything I could to help with the cycling of the tank, using the good bacteria from my other filter, and shifting as much stuff from my set-up tank to the new one. I've also filled it with plants.

Last Friday I finally got my test kit, and now I'm really confused as to where I am in my cycling progress...

I've done one test a day for the past 3 days, and a 40% water change every day to keep my guppies safe. For the past three days, my test results have been the same;

PH - 7.8
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 10

I honestly have no clue where am I at with the cycling now...

It's only be set up for about two and a half weeks. And my guppies have been in there about 5 days. Which is why I am so confused. Normally it takes longer than that to cycle, doesn't it? This is my first time properly cycling a tank with all the test kits, so I'm not used to this. But online everywhere it says that it should take several months.

Honestly it only took me 3 weeks fishless cycle. If your tests are good than your cycled.

Back
Top Bottom