where can i get liquid ammonia in the uk?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AmyD

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was wondering if anybody could tell me where to get liquid ammonia in the uk, to do a fishless cycle.

Homebase have their own brand 9.5% w/w ammonia solution that I've used for two tanks now, it cost me less than £2 and I've used barely any.

I use about 3.5-4ml of this solution per 100L tank to dose to around 4ppm.

Thankyou i must go and get some, after learning about cycling i think fishless cycling is the way to go hopefully it won't take too long as i'm very keen to get my first fish!

Mine took about 2 months, but it can vary so much. Just be sure you have a good quality set of liquid test kits and you know what you're doing.

If you've got no implements for measuring out small volumes of ammonia solution you can dilute the stock solution in water to say 1:10, that way you'd be adding 35-40ml of your new diluted solution. Makes it harder to accidentally overdose (what I did A LOT with my first tank..), and allows easier adjustment of the amount you need to add. I ended up nicking a load of 1ml pasteur pipettes from work, great for measuring out ammonia/meds/fertz...

If you turn the thermostat on you heater up to around 30*C the cycle will go faster, you can just turn it down again when you're ready for fish.

Also if you have any friends locally who keep fish, you could ask them for a little bit of filter media or dirty gravel to "seed" your tank with the good bacteria. This jump starts your cycle so it takes days/weeks rather than months.. Alternatively you could ask your LFS for some soiled gravel to help you out, I'd have thought most decent aquatics shops would be more than happy to help.

Keep us posted on how it's going!

Great advice thanx, a couple of things i have to pick up and then i'm ready to get started will be such an achievement when complete!

Back
Top Bottom