where does the bb come from when cycling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johnt2k14

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all,

So can someone tell me where the bb comes from when you are starting your cycle without media from an already cycled tank?

-John

Most pet store sell bottles of BB. It would say something like bacteria in a bottle

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Growing Beneficial Bacteria

Hello john...

Bacteria needs oxygen and a food source to grow. Oxygen is in the air and the dissolved fish waste provides the food source. In this case, ammonia. That's it.

B

Hi all,

So can someone tell me where the bb comes from when you are starting your cycle without media from an already cycled tank?

-John

The bacteria will be introduced via water, your hands, and whatever you may use for an ammonia source, except for straight ammonia of course. ect.
But, to speed things up you should try to get some seeded media.

Thanks for the replies.

So without using BB in a bottle, I'm still confused where the bb comes from. I mean, you start with a new tank/substrate/heater/filter. Add tap water with conditioner.

Next, you either add fish (fish in) or dose with ammonia (fishless). Test, test, test... Eureka, the tank is cycled.

So where does the bb come from? Again, assuming you don't use store-bought bb and don't seed the cycle with another tank's media.

And it's really a curiosity. I have nothing against using store bought bb or transplanted media.

-John

Hi all,

-John

People don't read the question :(

Thanks for the replies.

So without using BB in a bottle, I'm still confused where the bb comes from. I mean, you start with a new tank/substrate/heater/filter. Add tap water with conditioner.

Next, you either add fish (fish in) or dose with ammonia (fishless). Test, test, test... Eureka, the tank is cycled.

So where does the bb come from? Again, assuming you don't use store-bought bb and don't seed the cycle with another tank's media.

And it's really a curiosity. I have nothing against using store bought bb or transplanted media.

-John

Bacteria including the beneficial bacteria we use is on everything and in fact is constantly raining down on every surface in your house.

A fun experiment is to get a petri dish with agar and let it sit uncovered for a day. After that, cover it back up and let it sit in a warm place for a few days. You will see tons of bacteria and fungus growing on it... Some of the fun stuff we got to see in my microbiology class :)

After the nitrifying bacteria falls into your tank then it can start to multiply. The heterotrophic bacteria that clouds the water gets introduced the same way.

Also, like PB said it gets introduced by your arm by digging around in the tank as well :)

The dish usually ends up looking something like this.

petri-dish.jpg

What mebbid said.. it just shows up to the party...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So it is just naturally occurring.
So our might be a crap-shoot as to whether or not the right bb colonizes and when it colonizes.

Sent from my XT1080 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So our might be a crap-shoot as to whether or not the right bb colonizes and when it colonizes.

And the amount. It is imho the primary cause in the difference for cycling times as it's the main factor that can't come close to being tracked.

It stands to reason, if you're a germiphobe and go out of your way to eliminate any and all bacteria in your house, then you will have a harder time with this. Although, if you're a germiphobe a fish tank is NOT a good source of entertainment since they are nasty disgusting cesspools of bacteria. (Yes I've sucked up water with my siphon) :oops:

one reason for seeding it with established media if possible. ;)

(Yes I've sucked up water with my siphon) :oops:

but you haven't really lived until you've had a good taste of water from a feeder goldfish tank with 1000 dead fish in it.......:yum:

and spilled all over your clothes and in your shoes

but you haven't really lived until you've had a good taste of water from a feeder goldfish tank with 1000 dead fish in it.......:yum:

and spilled all over your clothes and in your shoes

Dudee.. I'd literally jump in a bath of rubbing alcohol and gurgle..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The "right" bacteria are ones that consume ammonia. Soooooo .... If the thing to eat is ammonia, you'll eventually get ammonia consuming bacteria.

Just like sourdough bread and traditional sauerkraut and pickles ... You set out a particular substance, and the matching bacteria will find their way. And you don't worry too much about what their name is.

Bottled bacteria are sometimes the "wrong" ones but that's a whole different situation. Some are engineered and not natural, some are dead.

The only real worry is that it takes forever to wait for them to settle from the air.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

It comes in with your tap water if your municipality is using chloramine. They're fighting a constant battle with nitrifying bacteria that has developed some resistance to chlorine, and splits the ammonia from the chlorine in chloramine, using that for food. So now you have nitrite, same deal.

Yes and no. The species that thrives best in the conditions given will eventually outcompete the ones that are less successful.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

We're basically setting up a complete ecosystem in a box. That's why keeping water is so important.

Sent from my Android with one arm in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom