Which Filter??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rhino

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I just picked up a 55g tank for $25. I am looking into filters right now trying to decide on which one to buy. I am wondering if two ac 50's would be fine? I am also looking at getting 2 Emperor 400's. Which do you think would be better and why? Both of them I have read nothing but good reviews on. Thanks for your input.

Most on these boards prefer AquaClear, including me.

It would be wiser to get two AquaClear 70s or larger for that size of a tank instead of AquaClear 50s. I have an AC50 with another filter on my 20g tank.

1) They're very quiet.

2) The motors on the AC are the most reliable on the market.

3) They have a very large basket, allowing for alot more filter media, or ceramic rings, or seeding material from an established tank to speed up your fishless cycle.

I personally am a HUGE fan of canister filters. I have a Fluval 405 on my 46 gallon and I absolutely love it. It provides fantastic filtration, has 8 compartments to customize filtration media (like ceramic media which is the absolute best bio-media), and the thing is silent...I have to feel the output sometimes to make sure it's still running, lol. They're pricy in stores, but I picked mine up online for about $130. Other people also speak very highly of Eheim canister filters as well. Canister is what I will always recommend to anyone with a moderately sized tank.

eco23 said:
I personally am a HUGE fan of canister filters. I have a Fluval 405 on my 46 gallon and I absolutely love it. It provides fantastic filtration, has 8 compartments to customize filtration media (like ceramic media which is the absolute best bio-media), and the thing is silent...I have to feel the output sometimes to make sure it's still running, lol. They're pricy in stores, but I picked mine up online for about $130. Other people also speak very highly of Eheim canister filters as well. Canister is what I will always recommend to anyone with a moderately sized tank.

+1 canisters are amazing! And I am a huge fan of them! Especially eheim :p I have a pro 2 2028 for my 39gallon and It's worth it! It's easy to maintenance too!! :) u can also use a spray bar that will help with surface agitation!

I would use a Rena XP3 or an Eheim classic on that tank. If you want some extra flow and redundancy you could add an AC 70 as well.

I agree with all these recommendations. I have an AC 50 and 70 on my 55 gal for all the reasons mentioned by James. If I had to do it again, would have gone with two 70s. Reason being is redundantancy. Either one alone will provide minium filtration for the tank. I like having the back up. But you find a good deal on a 405 like you did your tank then go for it. Good luck Ryan.

Will do. Its going to be a long process. We are moving out in a month. So the tank will be in storage until we buy a house. So its killing me to know that it is just sitting there.

Ryan_waite said:
Will do. Its going to be a long process. We are moving out in a month. So the tank will be in storage until we buy a house. So its killing me to know that it is just sitting there.

Ya i know what u mean! I had a cycled 10 gallon just sitting there bare and empty acting as a qt tank. Finally decides to make it a plant community tank!! Hahahah but now I have a problem. I don't have a qt tank no more! Hahahahha

eco23 said:

+1

You have a good point; his tank is big enough that he should consider at least one canister filter with a HoB filter (AC preferred).

When he mentioned AC and Emperor, I was caught in a HoB loop. The fact that all of my tanks are 20g and less doesn't help either. :lol:

Yeah I am stuck in that loop to. Mainly because I know I can get the ac 70 for $40 each with no tax and free shipping. Canisters are more expensive it seems.

Back
Top Bottom