Which fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kkkkyle7

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I setup my tank about 40 hours ago, everything is clear and running. I added my friends gravel and added some of that Easy Balance which keeps the water stable. I tested the PH and it is around 7.2 and the Ammonia is 0. I am going soon to get some fish to cycle but I do not really want any mollies/guppies/barbs. These are the fish I was planning on putting in the aquarium - neons/cardinals/rainbowfish/rams/angels/hatchets/cories/balloon mollies - out of these which would be the best to cycle it with, give me a few options. THANKS!

I don't see any good cycling fish on your list.
I would suggest a small school, 4 or 5, zebra danios. They are very hardy and are most likely to survive.
PS: they seem easy to get rid of later if you don't want to keep them. I took 9 to my local aquarium place yesterday and they were glad to buy them from me.

Try fishless cycling. Raw shrimp in a baggie with tiny holes in it I dont have the link to the site but look it up on here. At least look it over... Rather than getting fish you dont care about. Rather than possibly killing fish to cycle your tank. So out of the list you posted nothing and especially not the rams or angels .. none of the fish just do some research on the fishless cycle it is now the accepted practice rather than the cycle with fish.

Also this way you can get what you want right after your tank shows no ammonia and no nitrites 0ppm is what you are looking for on both of those. After this you can then get any fish and dont have to worry about possibly killing them.

ok, does that tetra safestart work?
Safestart, Hagen cycle and a host of other work but not really well.
They speed up the cycle faster than adding nothing but it still takes a long time.
Bio-Spira is the only product I have found that works real well. I cycled a 75 gallon in 10 days with it. However it is a gamble because it has to be kept refrigerated and it has does have an expiration date. For those reasons most places do not stock it so it is somewhat hard to find. So when you do find it you have to hope it was not misshandled or it will be no good.
Another option is used filter media from an established tank, even squeezings from a filter sponge at the local pet store. what you are after is live bacteria that breaks down amonia and nitrite.

Back
Top Bottom