Which fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claireabigailq

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everybody! I was wondering what fish I could get for my 20 gallon tropical tank I need them to be peaceful fish, I also want them to be schooling fish. Do you guys have any suggestions? I really like tetras but I want to hear about any small fish, I am talking about 2 inch max, Thanks!

I think I will get one bristlenose pleco and six neon tetras, anyone have any info about things I need to know about keeping these fish? Thanks!

Honestly I wouldn't stock right away with the neons as they tend to be more fragile. Have you cycled your tank?

Just about any fish whether the tank is cycled or not is going to be fragile if not properly acclimated. Drip acclimation has worked great with neons for me. In my opinion Neon tetras are a great route to go if you are going for schooling, but they are also the most common type of tetra. Rummy nose tetras are a great way to go and thrive in groups of 6 or more. Red or black high fin tetras are also a great choice. They are a little taller and rounder than the neon or rummy nose tetras. I've also had incredible luck with platys schooling together. Just remember they are live bearers which means they will breed like crazy! I always have babies in my platy tank! Hope this helps.

yes I have cycled my tank, and I am also willing to have a little bit of a challenge on my hands.I do not want to have any livebearers in my tank.

I Definately reccomend going with tetras then. Just acclimate them and you shouldn't have issues

you could try scarlet badis, rasboras. Boraras Brigittae, Celestial Pearl Danios, neon tetras, cardinal tetras, green tetras (all those tetras!), Barbus jae,maybe a small group of cory cats or shrimp for the bottom? (I know shrimp are not schooling or fish-ha!)

yes, and they are active buggers. Mine keeps digging up all my sand and making little mountains in my 29 gallon.

Mine squats in his driftwood and never comes out

let me correct that...mine comes out when I'm not looking, probably at night, and keeps digging up all my sand. He dug himself a cave under some rock/driftwood and that is where he keeps any time I am awake. I NEVER see him.

Back
Top Bottom