Which fish to put in first...!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claretmaz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 2 neons left in my 10gallon tank from a ammonia strike. I have now settled the tank and all levels are as they should be..

Which fish am i best to start adding and how many...!! What order shall i put them in.

My little boy wants something colourfull. Im new to this so would love some help...??

Thanks

Samzter said:
Hi, what are you exact levels and what are you testing them with?

I am at 0 now. And have been for te last few days. I want to make sure i add the right fish at the right times.

If all are at 0 it means your not cycled. Ideally you want 0ammonia 0nirite 5nitrate.

You could try killifish. They're really colourful! I'm sure your son would love them ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Samzter said:
You could try killifish. They're really colourful! I'm sure your son would love them ;)

My nitrates are above 0 :) ahh are they easy to get hold of. :)

I agree about getting a few more neons for a school. They look cooler when there are more of them anyways. For a colorful fish, what about a couple of platies or male guppies?

would you put the neons in then leave it before adding the other groups of fish. I dont want to over do it. Will they all live together ok. Thanks :)

Claretmaz said:
would you put the neons in then leave it before adding the other groups of fish. I dont want to over do it. Will they all live together ok. Thanks :)

Add a few neons, keep an eye on your water parameters. If everything is 0 (except nitrates of course) then add a couple more. I'd do no more than 3 at a time.

And yes- neons and platy's can live together. Celestial pearl danios would probably be fine too. They like hiding places. They are shy. I have neon tetras, platies, leopard danios all in the same tank. They are very friendly together. (I have a 55 gal so I can have more fish).

Back
Top Bottom