Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-27-2003, 05:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Which is more demanding/harder ?

Which is more demanding/harder to maintain ? Why ?

a) Cichlid

b) Discus

c) Marine Tank

Old 06-27-2003, 06:01 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would say Marine Tank, then Discus, then Cichlids

Old 06-27-2003, 06:02 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Forgot to mention that those are the hardest things you can keep, generally speaking
Old 06-27-2003, 09:59 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to ConanTheLibraia Send a message via Yahoo to ConanTheLibraia
Either marine tank or discus (I havn't kept marine, but have done a lot of research on it) and then cichlid.
Old 06-30-2003, 01:52 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

A FO (fish only) marine tank is really not that much more difficult as far as upkeep. However, you really have to know what you are doing to be successful. SW fish do not tolerate changes in water parameters as well as FW fish.

There is a little more maintenance involved and mixing saltwater can get kind of old. The best way is to get a larger container (Rubbermaid container) and mix a lot at a time. Heat and aerate the water and you are all set for water changes.
Old 07-02-2003, 08:43 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for all the responses. They have greatly helped get a better picture.
Old 07-02-2003, 10:07 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Glad we could help you.
Old 07-02-2003, 12:08 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
I would think discus and SW would be about equal...although with different problems. Both require excellent water quality to do well. With SW, you have more water parameters to watch and maintain. With discus, water needs to be VERY clean and, in most cases, soft and acidic. Many people who raise discus advocate daily water changes...some of them even have a setup that continuously changes small amounts of water. Cichlids are a little more tolerant in most cases. They can handle a wider range of pH and don't require perfect water parameters.
Old 07-02-2003, 12:25 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Discus need almost a perfect pH, or so I hear. I have never kept cichlids or discus, but feel that cichlids would be easier than discus. I do feel owning any of the tanks is very rewarding.
Old 07-02-2003, 12:36 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have a SW tank, discus and cichlid. The discus and marine tank are equally extensive in maintenance for different reasons. The cichlid tank I do very little w/respect to maintenance. Of the three the discus is probably my favorite, mainly because the reef is coming along rather slowly.
Old 07-02-2003, 12:42 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes, I would agree, planted tanks/discus pay off almost imediately where as the reef takes time.

Tags
ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com