Which is more demanding/harder ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rvijay07

Aquarium Advice Freak
Which is more demanding/harder to maintain ? Why ?

a) Cichlid

b) Discus

c) Marine Tank

Either marine tank or discus (I havn't kept marine, but have done a lot of research on it) and then cichlid.

A FO (fish only) marine tank is really not that much more difficult as far as upkeep. However, you really have to know what you are doing to be successful. SW fish do not tolerate changes in water parameters as well as FW fish.

There is a little more maintenance involved and mixing saltwater can get kind of old. The best way is to get a larger container (Rubbermaid container) and mix a lot at a time. Heat and aerate the water and you are all set for water changes.

Thanks for all the responses. They have greatly helped get a better picture.

I would think discus and SW would be about equal...although with different problems. Both require excellent water quality to do well. With SW, you have more water parameters to watch and maintain. With discus, water needs to be VERY clean and, in most cases, soft and acidic. Many people who raise discus advocate daily water changes...some of them even have a setup that continuously changes small amounts of water. Cichlids are a little more tolerant in most cases. They can handle a wider range of pH and don't require perfect water parameters.

Discus need almost a perfect pH, or so I hear. I have never kept cichlids or discus, but feel that cichlids would be easier than discus. I do feel owning any of the tanks is very rewarding.

I have a SW tank, discus and cichlid. The discus and marine tank are equally extensive in maintenance for different reasons. The cichlid tank I do very little w/respect to maintenance. Of the three the discus is probably my favorite, mainly because the reef is coming along rather slowly.

Yes, I would agree, planted tanks/discus pay off almost imediately where as the reef takes time.

Back
Top Bottom