Which light makes water look less yellow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BEAUCASTLE

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a lot of driftwood in my freshwater tank and my water is slightly yellow. Since my fish are happy I don't want to tear down the tank to boil, etc, the driftwood.

Is there any color of light that would make the tank look less yellow?

i had the same problem... frequent water changes will fix the yellow water, eventually they will quit releasing the tannins and you wont have that issue anymore... as far as lighting, there are no lights, imo, that would make yellow water any less yellow. after mine turned yellow, i researched dritwood big time, and finally figured all this out, along with the advice of other guys on here... they all suggested waterchanges as most any other issues with your tank would deserve...

Boiling the wood and/or frequent water changes will take care of business, however if you don't already have one, I suggest a Fluorescent light for a natural daylight effect.

just keep doing water changes. carbon will help remove the tannis from the tank but you will have to most likely replace it ever week or two. all my tanks i use daylight bulbs or 10,000k bulbs that will give you the whitest look from the lights.

Water changes are the best bet to remove the tannins. You'd be surprised how clean the tank looks after changing a lot of water. I actually find the tannins appealing with certain fish.

Apparently the tanins are very good for fish and plants, but i wonder of the dimming of the water reduces the light intensity on the plants making them photosinthesise less?

just a little but most people have too much light anyways so it shouldnt really effect anything.

I do my regular water changes 20-25% about every 1-1/2 to 2 weeks. So what does everyone mean by "changing lots of water"?

just keep doing water changes. carbon will help remove the tannis from the tank but you will have to most likely replace it ever week or two. all my tanks i use daylight bulbs or 10,000k bulbs that will give you the whitest look from the lights.

Hey gamer...question for you on lights....you use 10k straight or 10k/6700? I ask because I am going to order a new bulb for my 65W PC. Any suggestions on sites to order from. I was think Drs Foster and Smithe.

I do my regular water changes 20-25% about every 1-1/2 to 2 weeks. So what does everyone mean by "changing lots of water"?
what we mean by more frequent water changes is maybe 2 water changes per week... sometimes more depending on the situation... if youre trying to get the yellow out, you will probably have much better luck doing a water change twice a week, maybe 15-20% or so... or you could take out the wood, boil it, soak it for a week or two in water (changing it daily or every other day) until the water stays clear, then put it back in and do a couple extra water changes... i think it makes the water look dirty and nasty, but thats my opinion. i dont see how lighting could make yellow water look clear, as it is exactly that, yellow water

do weekly 50-75% water change.
Hey gamer...question for you on lights....you use 10k straight or 10k/6700? I ask because I am going to order a new bulb for my 65W PC. Any suggestions on sites to order from. I was think Drs Foster and Smithe.
some tanks i have 10,000k only. that will look more white then anything out there. i try to mix the bulbs as much as i can since i dont think one type of bulbs can give all the spectrum the plants need.

Back
Top Bottom