Which tetras?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claireabigailq

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi! I have a 20 gallon freshwater aquarium and I am going to get 6 tetras along with a bristlenose pleco but I can't decide what type of tetra I want, I think I am going to get neon tetras but I also want tips on how to care for them, thanks!

I'd suggest cardinals over neons. They do get slightly larger, but they are a much hardier fish. Caring for tetras is easy. Clean water and a decent flake or small pellet food should be all they really need.

There is no place to buy cardinal tetras anywhere near where I live, but trust me I did look into cardinal tetras

The closest place to buy those kinds of tetras is 45 minutes away but I will go, even they don't have any cardinal tetras

When I buy them how can I add all of them at once, because I can't make the trip more then once to get a few every 2 weeks

Rummynose are not hardy and require pristine water. Not a good choice for a new tank.

Ive read your other thread and i think its a mistake to buy fish yet if you believe to be cycled. I simply cannot believe your fully cycled after 3 days

I don't know what to believe my test kit tells me i'm cycled, I will take a sample to my local fish store and have them test it too.

Yes cycled after 3 days is highly unlikely, I hadn't seen your other thread so apologies. I would recommend taking the sample to get it tested.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I don't know what to believe my test kit tells me i'm cycled, I will take a sample to my local fish store and have them test it too.

Just because you have 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite doesnt mean you are cycled. I could fill a tank straight from the tap and add nothing to it. It would register 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite. Would that be cycled then?? The answer is NO. A 'cycled' tank means that you have developed a sufficient beneficial bacteria colony that is capable of converting an ammonia source to nitrites and then to nitrates within a 24 hour time span. Get yourself some pure ammonia and add it to your tank. Test it until you register 4ppm. Leave it overnight and retest. If you see any ammonia levels or nitrite levels then you are not cycled. From what i have read of your posts, you havnt grasped the idea of cycling yet. I think you should do some research on 'how to fishless cycle'. If you add fish now, id be extremely surprised if i didnt see a new thread from you about 'why are my fish dying?'
This isnt supposed to be insulting. I am trying to help you and save you from lots of visits to that distant fish store you mentioned lol

Yes cycled after 3 days is highly unlikely, I hadn't seen your other thread so apologies. I would recommend taking the sample to get it tested.

No point in my opinion. They will give the same readings. Still wont tell you if its cycled. Only way of knowing is to add a source of ammonia. (Message to op) did u ever see your ammonia test come back green instead of yellow?? Or your nitrite test come back purple instead of sky blue??

Of course there's point in your opinion, your handing out very good advice, but it's still worth getting a store to test incase the op didn't test correctly the results could show up different.

Of course there's point in your opinion, your handing out very good advice, but it's still worth getting a store to test incase the op didn't test correctly the results could show up different.

True enough. The op did mention thst the store was 45mins away. I know i wouldnt want to go that far for some potentially useless info. Ammonia and nitrite test are fool proof. Nitrate needs more effort

I think my tank is cycled because a few hours after adding SafeStart Plus I got an ammo reading. To test if my tank is cycled instead of using pure ammo can I use tropical fish flakes? I have heard of other people using fish food as a source of ammo.

Back
Top Bottom