while I'm on the soap box

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Very interesting discussion Dax. There are many ways to skin a cat so to speak. I'm sure if you asked 2 expert bakers to detail how to bake a certain cake you'd get 2 different recipes. Each cake might be perfect but how they got there wouldn't be the same.

Likewise assembly instructions for a variety of products seem crystal clear to the tech writer who wrote the instructions. However each person assembling the product will encounter different problems based on their experience, skill, and ability to understand the instructions.

When I offer advice I try never to give it as gospel. I simply say, here's what I would do. Then it's up to the reader to decide whether to use my advice or not.
I also have to make an assumption that I've interpretted the question correctly. Many times I have not. Many times the person asking the question, doesn't know how to pose the question, or give enough information to get a meaningful answer. It can be very frustrating for both parties.

Now about cycling a tank....... The aquarium keeper doesn't cycle a tank. A tank has no choice in the matter. It will begin the process as soon as an ammonia producing source is introduced. How long it takes to cycle, and how smoothly it goes depends entirely on the owner. So old time aquarists who say, "I've never cycled a tank", are really saying they've never interferred with the process once they've introduced fish. JMO

Back
Top Bottom