White floating particles in newly set up 120g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RWineriter

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I just got a 120g XH tank set up over the past few days. 125lbs of gravel (rinsed over an hour and a half) with 2 Rena Filstar xP3 canister filters set up and running. I woke up to what appears to be little white particles or micro-bubbles floating around and gathering like scum on the surface. It looks like a ton are expelled every so often from the filter output but I'm not certain. Before I move my cichlids to their new home, I'm completing a fish-less cycle for the new tank and filters but want to know what this is and if it will just go away. My house has softened water so I opened all valves so it would be a 50/50 mix. I hope the pics come through. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Attachments

• image-2481925736.jpg
    image-2481925736.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 149
  • image-549618338.jpg
    image-549618338.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 124
  • image-3831389741.jpg
    image-3831389741.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 128
Looks like micro bubbles but it's hard to tell. If the output is spitting them out there must be air in the canister somewhere. I have the Fluval and you have to Prime it before putting it on and then some air willl expel for a bit and then stop. Because the filters are new it might do that until it settles, I'm not sure about the Rena's, maybe they have a tech support number or website you could double-check.

First thing I would do is check the canisters and make sure they are sealed properly. Is one, or both, of them leaking right now? If not, turn them off for about an hour and keep an eye on them. Does one, or both, start to leak after it has been turned off for a while? If so, tear the leaky one down and carefully reassemble it. Then try again. I had a similar problem with an old MarineLand canister. It would not leak while it was running but would suck air in through a misaligned seal and blow bubbles all over the tank. Once it was turned off it would leak all over the place.

Thanks for the ideas so far. I had the filters off for a bit and there is no leaking. I will let them sit overnight and see what happens. I'm thinking micro-bubbles too so have to figure out where it's coming from or if just need to settle. . I had both of these filter hooked up to my 37g for a few days each and didn't see this. I did email Rena and will likely call their support tomorrow. Not sure if normal for their design or not but both have some air at the top of the canister. Thanks again and please keep the thoughts coming.

Check your intake lines. ??

Try tipping the canisters this way and that to get some of the air out.

wrmiller said:
Try this. It may fix your issue. :)

Wow! That was an XP4? I have to say, from watching that video, that the flow sucks. If I had that short of a spray bar on my SunSuns, either the 304 or the smaller 303, the water would be shooting out of the tank.

Okay. The instructions on that video did help. The micro bubbles have stopped and water is clearer now. Now to get this cycled and am following the many instructions on here for that as well. Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom