White fuzzy stuff on Mopani driftwood!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you add wood to an aquarium that had not been cured ( soaked in water) first it will fuzz up after a bit. The fuzz will not harm anything in the aquarium it's just unsightly. If you want pull out the wood and scrub it and it shouldn't come back. My shrimp, plecos and ottos love to eat it.

If you add wood to an aquarium that had not been cured ( soaked in water) first it will fuzz up after a bit. The fuzz will not harm anything in the aquarium it's just unsightly. If you want pull out the wood and scrub it and it shouldn't come back. My shrimp, plecos and ottos love to eat it.
Thanks Mogurako. It has been boiled and soaked for many days. If I pull it out, is it safe on my skin?

As been mentioned, it's common to see it on newly submerged DW. My Mopani DW got it a few days after submerging it in the tank (I didn't boil it ext) ... it was harmless and my RTS went nuts over it. This is the first I've heard of it on wood that's been boiled.
I've never read about it being bad for skin and that it eventually goes away on it's own ... my RTS devoured it before I could find out.

As been mentioned, it's common to see it on newly submerged DW. My Mopani DW got it a few days after submerging it in the tank (I didn't boil it ext) ... it was harmless and my RTS went nuts over it. This is the first I've heard of it on wood that's been boiled.
I've never read about it being bad for skin and that it eventually goes away on it's own ... my RTS devoured it before I could find out.

Thanks jcolon! I will just leave it alone. I am cycling now, so nothing to look at yet.

I agree, it's happened to me many times even after pouring boiling water on it and soaking. It's just unsightly but not harmful. It'll go away eventually. If it really bothers you, you can take out the wood, spritz some diluted hydrogen peroxide on it and rub it with a paper towel. But it'll likely come back again at some point. It's one of those things that has to run its course.

There you go, Librarygirl's given you one way to quickly deal with it ... otherwise, just let it run it's course. Hopefully your cycle will complete soon enough to see pics of stock in the tank.:fish2:

Glad we could all help.(y)

I agree, it's happened to me many times even after pouring boiling water on it and soaking. It's just unsightly but not harmful. It'll go away eventually. If it really bothers you, you can take out the wood, spritz some diluted hydrogen peroxide on it and rub it with a paper towel. But it'll likely come back again at some point. It's one of those things that has to run its course.
Thank you for the tip and explanation, librarygirl!

There you go, Librarygirl's given you one way to quickly deal with it ... otherwise, just let it run it's course. Hopefully your cycle will complete soon enough to see pics of stock in the tank.:fish2:

Glad we could all help.(y)
Thanks jcolon! I can't wait to add stock!!:-D
I am so glad I found AA. You guys been an valuable source of information.

Back
Top Bottom