white growth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

earhtmother

Aquarium Advice FINatic
This is the hubbys tank and I am posting for him. 125g cichlid tank set up since May no problems other that the usual red/rusty algae growth new tanks experience which soon disappeared on its own once tank settled down. Does not seem to be overfeeding as it is all gone within a few minutes. Recently started losing fish and there is a HUGE outbreak of white crap growing of his gravel plants and rocks. Is not cottony more stringy and semi opaque. Never had this problem in any of the tropical tanks I have had so have no idea what to tell him to do. Have asst african cichlids synodontis and apple snails in the tank so any treatment has to be agreeable with all the residents. He is getting very fustrated as the fish loss is becoming a regular thing despite water changes/gravel cleaning on a weekly basis. Any ideas?

elaine

It sounds like a bacteria bloom.

Can you give us more information about the tank?
- Water parameters: ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels
- Equipment: filter, heater, etc
- Maintenance schedule: PWCs, how often, how much, dechlorinator
- Stock list

white crap

heres what I know- no dechlor as we are on a well, I believe he just started doing 1/4 tank or less water changes weekly with his python. Has a heater and a LARGE cannister filter (whatever the guy at the fish store recommended to him) probably a a dozen cichlids 3 synodontis and 3 large apple snails. As for parameters I would have to get him to do a test and give the figures to me as I have no idea where he has the strips hidden. Hopefully what little info I have helps

elaine

FYI, test strips aren't all that accurate. He'd be much better off with a liquid reagent kit like the API Freshwater Master kit. They're cheaper per test than strips and much more accurate if the directions are followed correctly.

Try doing a big 50% PWC and see what happens. You've got a wild card with well water. It changes with a big rain or snow melt and could cause the problems you're seeing.

Back
Top Bottom