White spots on my tank glass!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cluckyholiday

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

Can anyone offer any advice on what is on my tank glass suddenly and if it is dangerous or a problem?
Looks like white dust specks, or like little dandelion seeds?
Thank you!

image.jpg

I think that should be a link. Sorry not great quality

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, hard to see, but looks like you have a live plant in the back? Anacharis? Anyway, could be one of many things that snuck into your tank with the plant.

Possibilities:

If you have snails, then snail eggs but that does not meet your description of dandelion seeds. Do you have snails?

Daphnia: more likely. These are called water fleas and they are a tasty treat for the fishes. Maybe a bit hard to get rid of if your fish aren't eating them. They double once a week. If it's daphnia, not feeding your fish for a couple of days could really help.

Either ways, I'd suggest a scrub and vacuum and see if it comes back.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If they looks like specs stuck to the glass then they might be freshwater limpets. Harmless; related to snails.
The description of dandelion seeds makes me think of hydra. A nuisance; can be a problem for fry or shrimp larvae/juveniles.

Agree with Fresh. Could be Hydra. Have any moved at all? Daphnia tend to move more. Hydra are usually stuck to the wall. What kind of fish do you have in your tank?

None have moved no. When I look close they look like they're moving real quick but I can't be sure if that's down to try movement of water in my tank from filter and air stone.
I have 4 × white cloud minnows
4 x platy and 3 x ghost shrimp.
I will try take another pic but my phone will not focus on them!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Still a hard to see, but based on the length of some of them, looks like hydra. If you had a magnifying glass, you'll be able to take a closer look. Compare to some pics online for aquarium hydra and see if it fits the description. None of your fishes I think will eat hydra. Some gouramis and mollies are known to eat them. The platies may try. I think your fishes are big enough to be ok, but if the platies have fry, hydra would eat them. Once you confirm that it's hydra, then comes the task of getting rid of them. Somewhat challenging but possible.

0c91b51d168fe718fb92a7a245be4da6.jpg

So difficult to picture. Hydra look bigger?
Any idea, if it is, how it came to be?
And suggestions on removal?

Thank you by the way! [emoji5]

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I've had this similar problem before all I did was scrub the glass and try to make as many out as possible then after doing that they kinda just died off or disappeared

"Been a fish owner since I was born."

Back
Top Bottom