White stuff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AnthD

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just done my first water change. After pouring the new water in i noticed some white cotton like material floating about and a 'web' like substance on the plants at the front.
Is this anything to be worried about or is it the bacteria forming? There are no fish and just ran a test and everything is pretty much the same as last night. Am using strips for now, pay day tomorrow so going to invest in an api kit as they are supposedly they best by far?

I use the API Master freshwater kit and am very happy with it! As for the cottony stuff....what filter media are you using? If you're using the floss, it might just be some of that that has come loose from the filter maybe? Without a picture, it's hard to guess.

I use the API Master freshwater kit and am very happy with it! As for the cottony stuff....what filter media are you using? If you're using the floss, it might just be some of that that has come loose from the filter maybe? Without a picture, it's hard to guess.
Filter is an aquael asap 300 cartridge with sponge.

1498590118509.jpg this is what the web stuff looks like.

I'm really not sure about the webby stuff. Possibly some kind of algae or fungus. I'd keep an eye on it and if it doesn't go away, maybe trim off those pieces of your plants. Maybe ask in the planted tank forum.

I'm really not sure about the webby stuff. Possibly some kind of algae or fungus. I'd keep an eye on it and if it doesn't go away, maybe trim off those pieces of your plants. Maybe ask in the planted tank forum.
Good idea. Done.
Just the cotton stuff mincin about the tank hopefully will clear up.

The white clowdyness is a bacteria bloom. It's normal. Just some water changes and time will make it go away.
And yes hair algae is forming on your plants because of the excess nutrients (white water is a good indication of this).

Back
Top Bottom