Whoops. Being too patient with driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

captotterboy

Aquarium Advice Regular
I got in the last of my needed supplies to start my 10g tank.
Put in the substrate. Put in the water. Got the filter, lights, and heater ready. Put in the seachem prime. Got the bubbles placed and going. Everything looks GREAT....
And then I tried to put in the driftwood. The driftwood I boiled a week ago.... still floats. Yay..... That will teach me to wait until everything comes in before making sure the individual parts are functioning properly.

So now I have a tank ready to be planted.... with a large hunk of floating driftwood on top. I am going to have to wait for it to water-log and sink before getting plants.

I used rocks too. I have a large piece of driftwood in my 55g that i couldn't boil. Instead, I soaked it in my tub with hot water and salt for a few days, then 2 weeks with fresh hot water daily without salt. The salt was to “disinfect” it, the rest was just to get the salt out of it and try to waterlog it some. Still floated, so I just put it in my tank, held it where I wanted it, and placed some heavy rocks on it to hold it down. Been 2 months and the thing will still float if I remove the one remaining rock. Not big deal though...still have plants all around it and even on it. :)

This is what it looks like right now. Pardon the dry erase drawing my daughter did on the side..........

Attachments

• 1453326665317.jpg
    1453326665317.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 69
I put my drifwood in our hot tub for 2 weeks until they looked well sunk. Wife complained bitterly. :nono: Four months later and it has only now stopped turning the water brown.

Is there a difference between drift wood and bog wood. I have only ever used bog wood, it is very dense and it always sinks.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Depends on whether or not it drifts into a bog?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Scott - I think they are the same.
For very persistent floating DW you could use stainless steel screws and secure a small piece of slate to the base of the DW. The slate can be buried in the substrate.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Scott, I agree with fresh--I believe they are the same. Maybe the difference is driftwood is dry and bogwood is still wet? Would explain the difference in buoyancy.

Bogwood has been submerged. Pre soaked. Driftwood may have been in water but is typically dry.

Those are my definitions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually, those definitions make a lot of sense. ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom