why aquarium stores should have internet access

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

talloulou

Aquarium Advice Addict
after lots of research and consideration I decided to trade in my adonis. I was told it would stay small and was non-aggressive but there were just way too many sites that claim it will get big and mean. So bye bye adonis. Anyway I bought another pleco, well a fish sold as "wuifang pleco" . This one I was told will definitely stay small. Which is great. However when I came home to research it I could find nothing called a Wuifang pleco. What I did find is that I bought a hillside loach, butterfly pleco, chineses pleco, stingray pleco, or I guess whatever other name a store is apt to slap on it. It's very cute but unfortunately most sites claim that it needs strong current and water a little cooler than most tropical tanks. So now this may be going back as well. Does anyone have experience with this little fish or keeping one in a tropical tank?

Wouldn't it be cool if there was internet access in the fish shop and you or the seller could just look up what you were about to buy. Can you imagine if the sellers would just do minimal research on what they are selling and maybe print out care sheets to go home with the fish. If my fish truly needs cold water and strong currents - why did they sell it to me. I told them about my tank and what was in it. And this store was not a petsmart or a petco either. They are actually quite reputable locally and usually pretty wise.

Maybe it's my fault for not researching before I buy. But whenever I decide on fish I'd like to keep based on research they are never available locally so I end up buying something else based on shops recommendation. I guess one day I will learn. In the meantime I really think we should rise up and demand internet access in the local fish shops!

because if they did, they would sell less fish, sorry to say, thats why most only have a 72 hour - 7 day warranty on the fish.

AshleyNicole said:
because if they did, they would sell less fish, sorry to say, thats why most only have a 72 hour - 7 day warranty on the fish.

As cynical as that sounds, I agree. The aquarium hobby is a hobby that deals in perishables, so I would imagine that they want to move the stock out as soon as possible, regardless of the knowledge level of the purchaser. Too many questions and a potential sale could be lost. Furthermore, if a particular fish appears to be a good seller, the store will likely carry it with little regard to the care of it. If things go wrong, there are always chemicals to sell or fish to replace. Sometimes such sales can make the difference between a profit for the month and a loss.

Having said that, there are lfs owners that are caring and educated and would prefer to educate than make a bad sale, but those seem to be the exception.

Of all the LFS in New York City, none have a website. This speaks volumes about your question talloulou...just think about it.

The only LFS in the metro area that does have a website is a nice one out in New Jersey; but even this one's site only shows pictures of fish, no identification at all.

The cost factor of maintaining a website also makes it less than appealing for most stores. Even the big chain stores that have websites, do not display live fish.

In regard to information sheets regarding care, this would also be an extraordinary cost. They would have to have as many sheets as fish and a place to store them. In retail, non-sale items taking up space is a no-no.

This in no way absolves the LFS from a responsibility to provide this information or at the very least, label their stock properly.

I should feel lucky then. My LFS(shameless plug follows) South Broadway Tropicals here in Denver is totally wired. They even send out a monthly email newsletter with specials and new arrivals if you want to subscribe. Great place if you're ever in the Denver area :)

I guess I need to figure out how to bring the internet with me to the fish store. Maybe a laptop or something. I'm sure I'll get stupid looks from the teenager buying a few pacu, a green terror, and a morray eel for his 15 gallon but hey what do I care! LOL

(By the way I actually was in petsmart once and a young guy was buying 4 pacu, that's why I always joke about the teenagers. They didn't ask him what size tank he has either, but I'm betting it wasn't the zoo size aquarium he was gonna need. )

travis simonson said:
I should feel lucky then. My LFS(shameless plug follows) South Broadway Tropicals here in Denver is totally wired. They even send out a monthly email newsletter with specials and new arrivals if you want to subscribe. Great place if you're ever in the Denver area :)

I always thought that Colorado was really on another planet, guess this just proves it? LOL

Just a quick thought, but my dad just bought a new iPaq that has wireless internet. He can be anywhere and get online. He uses it all the time. It would be an expensive idea, but, still a way to do it.

Back
Top Bottom