Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-27-2019, 08:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Why are my nitrites and nitrates rising, but my ammonia remains the same?

Hi everybody. This is my first time ever setting up an aquarium and so I have a few questions. I started fishless cycling roughly three weeks ago and added Dr. Tims ammonia, and dosed it all the way up to 4 ppm. A week and a half ago, it dropped to about 2 ppm. Nitrites were ~.20 ppm and nitrates were at 0.

Today, I tested my water. Ammonia is still at 2 ppm, but my nitrites are about .75 ppm while my nitrates have risen to about 5.0 ppm. Is this normal? I'm glad I'm seeing some change in water parameters but a bit worried. Will I see a decrease in ammonia in the following days to come? An acquaintance told me to dose back up to 4 ppm but I want to see if it will continue to drop. Should I dose back up or let the cycle run its course?

Any other advice will be greatly appreciated. So far, all I have in the tank is driftwood and sand.

Old 10-27-2019, 09:03 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

This should help explain it, The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling .

Tags
ammonia, ate, nitrate, nitrates, nitrite, nitrites

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com