Why are the new fish dying?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
IME/O one of the most basic and important things about fish keeping is to cycle the tank. I find it interesting that you put more credence into what someone says that doesnt even know about cycling (girl at fish store) than someone that has proven themselves time and again (eco23) . Again, just my opinion.

JBsDad said:
Hmmm, sorry to offend. It wasn't my intention, but if that's how it was taken, so be it.

That was a shot across the bow. Good luck and hope you have success.

spoonman said:
IME/O one of the most basic and important things about fish keeping is to cycle the tank. I find it interesting that you put more credence into what someone says that doesnt even know about cycling (girl at fish store) than someone that has proven themselves time and again (eco23) . Again, just my opinion.

Well, she knew about cycling, just not fishless. I think most places don't - while I've heard of it online, I've never seen mention of it in any LFS I've been to. And I've been to most of the ones in my area. It's also strangely easier to trust someone in person than the internet, no matter their motives.

Note - it is 5am here so I may not make much sense.

Sorry about your fish, it's hard when they die. I'm glad your others are doing better though, good luck with them! I think fish do play. When I had some fish they would swim into the current of the filter out-take and ride the current and then do it all over again and they would sometimes swim through the air bubbles from the air stone too. It's fun to watch!

interesting post and glad to hear that your fish are doing ok. i agree that it's important to get information from many quality sources such as lfs, forums, and websites on the problems you are facing. that's why i signed up here, to get access to a community of experienced and helpful fishkeepers.

in regard to your PH problem. what i've read (not only on this site) is to take a tap water sample, leave it to sit for a day before testing. then buy fish that suit your local tap water PH, as trying to correct can cause a PH yo-yo effect which is not good for your fish.

hope it helps :)

Back
Top Bottom