Why is my tank so couldy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StarrryDream

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently set up my 10 gallon aquarium, i had a few of these fish in a 5 gallon tank and they all seem to be healthy and eating. But the water cleared for one day and then i keeps getting cloudy. My room gets warm and the water in the tank evaporates, but i do a weekly change and the tank doesn't seem to improve. I have 10 small fish, they all get along great but I cant figure out why the tank looks so bad. I have changed the filter but that didn't seem to make a difference. Does anyone have and suggestions on what i can do? I would appreicate it very much. Thanks! :D

StarrryDream...

Welcome to Aquarium Advice! You have a very pretty tank set up there and I do understand your frustration with the cloudiness. Unfortunately this is a common occurrence in newly set up tanks.

Milky cloudiness is generally the result of one of two things: 1) gravel that wasn't washed completely before it was put into the tank, or (MUCH more likely) 2) a population explosion (bloom) of bacteria.

When water leaves the treatment plant it has been treated with chlorine/chloramine to kill pathogenic bacteria and other microorganisms. When you dechlorinate it and put it in your aquarium (and toss in some nice fish waste and uneaten food bits in the gravel) the bacteria begin to recolonize the water. They do this at such a rate as to make the water appear cloudy. This is likely what you're experiencing.

Fortunately the bacteria population will eventually stabilize on its own (after a week or two) and the cloudiness will disappear. Changing your filter media can actually do more harm than good in this case because many of the necessary bacteria for the Nitrogen Cycle will colonize the filter medium (and your gravel) and if you change it then those beneficial bacteria colonies have to start all over again.

Some people have had success clearing their cloudy water by doing 10-25% water changes daily. Personally I've always just let the tank stabilize on its own but I suppose your choice will depend on how patient you are.

If you haven't already done it....you should read the Aquarium Advice article on the Nitrogen Cycle. It is really important that aquarists understand how this cycle works!! I've included a link to the article below.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=21

Good luck...and again....welcome to the forum!

just be patient - TRUST ME - it may seem like it will take forever but in the end you will have success!

I second that advice, and DON'T waste your money on the treatment that you can buy in pet stores to clear cloudy water either. I got talked into buying some when I had your problem and all it is a waste of money! Good luck with things, be patient!

Back
Top Bottom