Why will my tank not cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sea-note

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Tank has been operational for 4.5 weeks. I haven't had a tank for over 7 years and came from the "old school" of tank cycling and started a fishy cycle before reading that fishLESS was probably best. So, now I have to live with what I've got.

I started my 60 gallon with 5 Danios, 1 Platy, 3 Cory Cats, a Java Fern, and some other plant I don't know the name of. After 2.5 weeks, I added a Pleko. Pretty quickly, my Ammonia was at .25ppm and has stayed there. It has not fluctuated at all - not when I WAS doing water changes and it hasn't fluctuated even though I haven't done a water change for 9 days. I have never had any Nitrites and obviously no Nitrates.

I removed the unknown plant, because it had grown almost to the top of the tank, so I thought maybe it was keeping the tank from cycling. Things haven't changed as far as my levels are concerned.

Any ideas?

Also, when I make a change, how long do I wait before I can determine that the change is not helping the cycle. The LFS guy said 1 week, but I take their advise with a grain of salt.

Thanks for your help!

What type of test kit are you using? It may be bad and giving false readings. I'd recommend taking a sample of your water to a LFS and have it tested. With that amount of fish I would expect more ammonia.

Sorry to keep it short - had surgery on my wrist Monday.

Thanks for the reply. I thought about the same thing. I have an API test kit. The LFS tested my water 2 days ago and came up with the same results.

Unless you seed the tank with a live bacterial source it can take 6-8 weeks or longer to do a fishy cycle.
Get yourself some seed material (squeezing from a filter sponge, used filter media ect..) and put in your filter or buy a product called Bio-Spira which is live bacteria if you want to speed up the cycle and make it easier on your fish.
Otherwise it will take time, in which case keep a close eye on it and keep up with water changes.

Funny how fish stores really dont ever say cycling will take so long... guess if they dont it will be greater profits for them.:censor:

I really don't mind waiting; however, I see folks that have had their tanks cycled by now or at least seen a nitrite spike. I've seen neither. Still haven't - tested last night - even after the suggestions made here.

I'm at a loss now. Shouldn't I have at least seen a nitrite spike? On average, how long after the nitrite spike is the tank cycled?

Do you know of someone you can get some filter medium from? I have to seed my tanks with filter medium because I am allergic to ammonia. I don't know how close you are to me but I do have an extra filter going now so I can seed a tank.

I have come to the conclusion without "seed" material your best bet is to get on your knee's and begin to pray to the "Cycle" Gods..... other then that I have a feeling I soon will be in the same boat.

There's so many factors involved in cycling an aquarium that you have to look at each one as an individual. Just because Joe was able to cycle in 6 weeks doesn't mean you will.

I do find it odd that you're ammonia level isn't build up anymore than you're seeing, however.

Cycled!

Thanks so much for your help. I added the Bio-Spira and the tank was cycled within 4 days. I don't know if it was the Bio-spira, time (2 days shy of 6 weeks), or a combination of both. Either way, I hope to turn the corner now of answering more questions here than asking.

My readings now are: Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 15.

I added 3 Gold Killifish yesterday. I plan on leaving the tank like it is now (with the exception of a couple of plants) for a month or so before adding a few Angels.

Please feel free to critique my tank and/or make suggestions (details are in my signature). By the way, with the lights on, my tank will not go below 79 degrees. Is this a problem, or am I okay as long as it stays consistent?

I'll post pictures of my newbie tank soon.

Again, thanks to everyone for your help. The outpouring of assistance was amazing. :D

Congrats.
79 degrees is a good temp for most tropicals.
It is a shame that Bio-Spira is being replaced, and with a product that by all I have heard (Tetra Safestart) doesn't work very well.

Oops, let me correct my post. It WAS SafeStart that I used. I could not find Bio-Spira and I read that SafeStart was its replacement.

Again, I do not know if it was the SafeStart that did the trick or the fact that basically 6 weeks had passed.

WELLL,
This is the first Safestart success story I have heard.
I will add this to the plus column.

Back
Top Bottom