Will a new a tank kill my fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mayanearth

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can I put fish in my 10G aquarium, it has only been cycling for 2 days?
PS. I did put some established water in it when I added plants. The fish that might be going into it are 7 Guppy fry. Either Black Moscow or Purple Snowflake.
Thank you all for taking the time to read this

I wouldn't unless you have no other options. The fry are more susceptible to bad water conditions making the presence of ammonia and nitrite very bad for them. Putting them in the tank will make it go through a fish in cycle which is very hard on the fish. IMO I wouldn't.

I would wait until its cycled. The waters not going to have the bacteria in it like the filter, substrate and decor does. Do you already have an aquarium? Are you moving these fish from one of yours to another tank?

Yes, my dad is leaving in a 2 week vacation, but I will be at my moms house. I don't want to leave them there because they will starve. The only other option I can think of is to move them to a tank at my moms house.

Any suggestions are welcome.

If you can get a hold of some seeded media it's the best bet.

Can you take some media from the filter at your dads and put it in the new filter for the tank at your moms?? Water holds very little beneficial bacteria, mostly it's held in the filter or some in the gravel/etc. If you could get some of this stuff with established bacteria on the new tank right away you may be able to have in fully cycled pretty quick. If you get enough media you could possibly skip the cycle process, it's not unheard of.

How would I transfer the bacteria from the the filter cartridge to the aquarium. And could I put the fry in the next day.

If you plan on moving all the fish and the new aquarium is close to the same size the best thing to do is bring the whole filter with you. So essentially you'll be running 2 filters and you should be ok. After a couple weeks take the filter you bought with you back to your dads. That will give it enough time to transfer bacteria to the new filter and gravel. That's the fastest way to cycle a tank :)

Just be sure the filter doesn't dry out and make sure you always dechlorinate your tap water. Chlorine and a dry filter means dead beneficial bacteria. You don't want that. Still be sure to test your water parameters every day after you have both filters running for a while to make sure it's all A-OK! If you need more help just ask! Good luck :)

I tried it and not even one of the 24 fish has died. It only had 3 days to cycle, but it did.

That's good! Do you still have the fish in the new tank or are they back? Of theyre staying there and you want more fish in the old one, keep both filters with the fish. The bacteria won't live long without ammonia :)

Back
Top Bottom