Will brass hose fitting react with my aquarium water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dazed04106

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So we bought a Python No Spill systems but the 25ft of tubing that came with the system is not long enough to go from the aquarium to our sink. If we bought extension tubing from Home Depot using a brass hose fitting would the copper in the fitting cause harm to any invertebrates we had in the tank?

Thanks,
Amy

The copper in the brass fitting would leach out only very very slowly with tap water running through it. And I bet your house has copper water lines anyway. Only when brass is used with RO water might there be a problem.

If you are concerned with the brass, you can always pickle it by soaking the brass in a solution of 2/3 Hydrogen Peroxide and 1/3 water for 10 minutes. Then rinse thoroughly with hot tap water, and you are good to go.

I am also a home brewer, and have had to pickle brass for fittings that come into direct contact with the alcohol. Since I drink it, I would not do this if it was dangerous or unfit for human consumption. Your fish should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom